VX2000 -- various topics - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 10th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #316
Regular Crew

vx2k stills

Has anyone gotten any good stills with the 2k. I've taken a few, some are better than others. Any suggestions on any required settings.

ty, charles
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #317
Inner Circle

Rather than take stills to the Memory stick (which I presume you're doing) simply go into the menu and set the camera to Progressive scan. Now you have a motordrive still camera that will record 15fps for an hour or more, and not break sweat. You'll also record full stereo sound and you'll be able to choose the *perfect* moment from the timeline in post. Further, you won't have JPEG compression trying to squeeze lots of info into memory.

From a taking point of view, don't use the ND filters. Up the shutter speed so that you're shooting at the sharpest aperture - f4. Shoot in bursts if you like. When you've taken 30 pictures of a group of four people you'll get a much better print than the guy who took one picture on his mega-pixel Nikon.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #318
New Boot

vx 1000

ok, i have asked this about a 100000000 times but have never really been told the answer i guess.....anyways on the vx1000 i have been told that it doesnt have dv-in. now what does that mean? does it mean that i cant hook it up to my compter or whatever?

Thanks
Joel Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #319
Wrangler

The information you have is false for VX-1000's in the US. The connector is clearly marked DV In/Out and it works.

In Europe, the input was defeated for import duty reasons, I'm told.
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #320
Major Player

Mike is correct (as usual). The (non-EU) VX1000 has dv in and out. DV in/out just means that it can record or playback a video signal over a firewire cable. You can connect the camera to a computer or another dv camera and playback or record.

The only thing that the VX1000 will not do is an analog to dv pass through. You can't use it to convert analog to dv like you can the VX2000/PD150 and most other newer DV cameras.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #321
New Boot

alright thanks
Joel Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #322
Major Player

I think the VX2000 has much better low light capability compared to it's older sibling, the legendary VX1000, but it simply improves from the legend, the VX2000 does not set the standard as it's predessor did in its market segment. With good grounding the beachtek adaptor for the VX2000, though not as great as the PD150 is definitely decent. Not to mention the imporve battery placement and LCD screen.
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #323
Regular Crew

Impressions of VX2000

First real experience with my new VX2000 came on a fast driving trip from St.Paul, MN to Seattle, WA and on (by ferry) to Victoria, BC. Encountered wide variety of indoor and outdoor scenery and subjects including shots through snow (Montana mountains in May); rain and drizzle with bursts of sun breaking through (Seattle area and Victoria, BC). These lighting conditions gave some great scenic shots, but with pressing time deadlines did not have time to stop and do a lot of experimenting with manual settings beyond working with iris to minimize zebra striped portions in high contrast lighting and switching in ND filters as directed by camera. As the David Ruether article on VX2000 commented--this camera does a great job in full auto settings. The indoor shots (high tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC for instance) were amazing in color accuracy and brilliance and the high contrast outdoor lighting shots (snowy, overcast weather with bright sun breaking through to light portions of mountain pines covered with new snow) were handled very well. As a hobbyist, my only personal comparison was my previous TRV 9, but I am still very impressed with the VX2000 as were those subjected to viewing my unedited shots.

Obvious things to most of you that I learned again: (1) investment in an easy to use good rain cover would be good since you can get some great lighting effects in drizzly rainy conditions and you can't count on getting dry skies when you are "on site" (should have bought one before the trip); (2) should have done a lot more experimenting with camera before taking trips like this--don't try to learn while taking shots of great scenery (this is why I left camera on auto most of time); (3) use of various controls needs practice so they are second nature--no time for searching for control or menu item while some action is going on; (4) some of the auto features like "spotlight" really do a great job (learned this in a wax museum where it took the white out of subject faces).
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:32 PM   #324
Regular Crew

VX2000 takes a beating

I want to say something about the VX-2000, it is one durable camera!!
While filming some stuff at a motorcycle shop, I sat my camera on this big bike seat, the seat was huge and I felt comfortable sitting the cam there for a second. I turned around to get a gum ball out the machine and I heard CRASH! A few people that were there said OH DUDE!! I could not turn around, knowing good and well what hit the floor haha. In shock I turned and saw my camera sitting straight up on the lens on the floor with the flip out view finder open (it was closed). Oh and the cam had the wide angle on it so there was no rubber sony shade installed at the time. I have to admit, I checked everything and the camera is fine. My ABSOLUTE WORST nightmare came true though, my cam was dropped, and it was my fault not to mention a very stupid decision - all for a piece of .25 gum. I honestly cant find anything wrong with the camera, I am wondering if I should take advantage of that MACKIE warranty and send it in for a checkup. What do you think?

--
Kevin Nardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 03:11 PM   #325
Major Player

Does it work? If it works why send it for a check-up?

One thing that I love about Sony prosumer cameras is that they are rugged. I have really let my old VX1000 get battered and I have dropped, knocked and otherwise abused my PD150 in ways that I would rather not admit. They are very well built cameras.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 04:07 PM   #326
Regular Crew

wow

My camera is a really sacred thing, I try not to let it get dusty lol. it has the problems of the fireflies and the (both) viewfinders are not good enough resolution to know if you are in focus or not. Other then that, they kick butt. sony makes a fine product but I think the next camera I get will be a XL1s just for a change of pace.

--
Kevin Nardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #327
Regular Crew

Mobile Phone & VX2000

Has anyone noticed when using a mobile phone nere a VX2000 in camera mode it starts to vibrate and grind? Just thought I'd see if I was alone on this.

Cheers,
Will
Will Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #328
Wrangler

The PD150 and I suspect the VX2000 are very sensitive to Radio Frequency Interference and ElectroMagnetic Interference (RFI & EMI).

Mine will go nuts around handheld radios, strobe lights, etc. When I tested my PD150, my cell phone didn't seem to bother it but a hand-held police radio sure did.

What you are hearing is the SteadyShot jumping around. Probably not too good for the mech. I turn mine off which is a pain given that it is a menu function, not a push-button.
Old July 5th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #329
Regular Crew

I was shooting a short film that needed a fairly good bit of direction with a lot of cars, and we were using Motorola FRS handhelds and every time you would hit the talk button, you could hear background noise and a click sound on the VX2000's audio track. We had to end up using GSM cell phones (two Sony/Ericsson T68i's with headsets) instead of the handhelds as those didn't interfere with the VX2000.
Dave Valencic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #330
New Boot

vx2000 and tiffen soft f/x 3 filter

Inspired by the "seven secrets of shooting video..." from DVcreators I intend to buy the tiffen soft f/x 3 filter for my vx2000.
Now, I think I have read a post that it one canīt use the lenshood if you attach a second filter (I have a uvfilter to protect the lens)
I have made a search with no result.
Am I mistaken? Or if only one filter can be attached to the vx2000 and keep the lens hood on can the tiffen filter be used also as a protection instead of the uv one?
Thanks in advance for any help

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion