VX2000 -- various topics - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 11th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #331
Wrangler

A three is fairly strong.

Don't leave the UV filter on if you are going to use the Soft F/X.

Too many glass surfaces. Only use one filter except in special cases.
Old July 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #332
New Boot

Thanks Mike for your help.
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #333
Regular Crew

vx2000 over dvc80 (any reason why?)

I've saved my pennies and now have a budget of $2,500 for a camcorder. I was planning to buy a vx2000 for $2,349 But noticed that B&H has the new panasonic dvc80 for $2,399.

Is there any reason to buy a VX2000 over a DVC80?
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #334
Outer Circle

If this has you stumped, take a few weeks to decide. You don't want own one model, while wishing you had bought the other. Perhaps try and take both for a test drive before deciding. The VX2000 is a little better in low light I am told, but ther DVX80 has higher resolution and nicer color saturation. The DVC80 is also easier to hold and it has better controls. It may also have XLRs, not sure. The bottom line is that they are both great cams.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #335
Regular Crew

Accessorizing the VX2000

Can anyone provide some input on how you handle accesories with the vx2000?

There is one accesory shoe on VX2000, but I find that I need to attach a shotgun mic to the setup as well as needing a light of some sort in dimly lit reception halls. The wedding I shot a couple of weekends ago I was forced to walk around holding a 20 watt lamp up by hand during the reception. That gets old after a couple of hours. I was wondering how others handle this.

Also, what do you use as a camera support? I tried a monopod, but found that this was not stable enough for my tastes (I have heard some people talk about a monopod with a foot. I haven't seen one so far so maybe that would work). Are the shoulder mounts of any value for the vx2000? If you do use a shoulder mount do they have any kinds of accesory shoes or other means that camera accessories can be safely attached? I am thinking of adding an external firewire drive gizmo and having another item hanging over my shoulder (I already have a 6 amp hour batter hanging there for the light) with a cable running to the camera does not excite me. I keep seeing these image of my tie intertwined with a bunch of cable around my neck.
Darrell Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #336
Inner Circle

Darrell,
I don't use the 2000 but I do use the PD150 so it's pretty much the same. Where to start? OK, in no particular order;
here's what I "wear" on my camera for a wedding reception (ceremony is slightly different)-PD150 with a WA lens-ALWAYS-(I love my WA) ME66 shotgun in a Sony CAC12 mic mount-a Bescor 50W light with a homemade softbox/diffuser to bring it down to 15-20W; HEADPHONES, ALWAYS; battery belt for light. (many time a wireless receiver with the mic for interviews) Thats the basic rig-now as to how I support it- that will depend on a number of things; I might use a tripod on a dolly for intros and speeches, or like last week, I used a monpod (Bogen 628B;with feet) or I might use a shoulder brace from Studio1store that I made a bracket for my wireless receiver and pop riveted on the shoulder of the brace-helps balance it out-remember the 2000/150 are front heavy to begin with. I don't use the handle on the shoulder brace but with my right hand in the strap of the cam and my left hand on the focus ring (I almost always manual focus) it's fairly comfy. BTW, if I don't use the brace with the wireless, I velcro it to the battery (I use a Lenmar15 hour battery that sticks out about an inch from the camera and no I've not had any issues with the Lenmars-I own 3 of them) I turn the receiver so the antennas are facing to the right so I can use the VF and yes it's heavy but ocne you figure out the balance point, it's very easy to hold and use.
Now for the real kicker, more often than not I just handhold the rig. I use the VF not the LCD and then I become the tripod-of course if you're moving around then it's better with the LCD so you can cradle the camera but if you're not moving I find the VF works out better for me.
OK, thats what I do, I'm sure other have their own ways too. You're probably going to have to play around a little to find out which works best for you.
Don B

P.S.
Accessory shoe; there are brackets that connect that have 2 shoes so you can solve that problem. I don't know who makes them perhaps someone can let you know.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #337
Regular Crew

There are many accessory shoe brackets at B&H like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/...ID=F710314ED00 or this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/...ID=F710314ED00 there are others aswell. I dont use either of these so I cant tell you how good they work, bur I assume they do fine.

Brian
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #338
Inner Circle

I've sent you an email Darrell showing the VX2k I use, decked out for wedding work. It's a bit heavy but I see no way round that, and the hefty L bracket is an absolute boon for stabilising those long shots.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #339
Major Player

Hmmm... seems to be a no-brainer to me. I own the VX2000. It's a great cam. It has great low light + wonderful picture ... love it a lot. I wanted to buy the DVX100 when I bought our cam, but it had just come out and was more than I could see spending. The 80 hadn't come out yet. If I were buying a new cam today I'd go with the DVC80 or DVX100. The 80 has got XLR audio ( plus, built in mic for quick shots), built-in WA lens, Larger LCD/viewfinder, better zoom controls, better audio - SMPTE time-code , better focus, greater zebra-stripe selection.

You may or may not need all those features, and the 80 is going to be heavier. If you go with the VX2000, you will have a nice cam. Another cam I'd look at would be the JVC GY-DV300. But compared to the 80, they just don't have the features in my mind. Good luck

Mark G
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #340
New Boot

VX2000 playback is scaring me

I have shot some footage and when I play back the audio and video seem simultaneously to drop out at times, as if someone had edited out a frame or two. This is during playback on the camera. If i rewind and play back the tape again, the problem persists, but to a lesser or greater degree, with the drop outs coming at different points from before. Thus, I deduce that the footage is all there. Why the drop out? Is it a form of dropped frames?
I bought the camera used and was one Panasonic tape into it when i changed to Sony. This is my first Sony tape. Could that be it?

I am worried.

Marcello
Old August 14th, 2003, 02:14 AM   #341
Wrangler

Yes it could be the change in tape brand.

Try cleaning the heads several times with a cleaning tape.

5 seconds per cycle only. 1 minute between cleaning cycles to let the heads cool down.

Maybe do this 3 times, then record and test the playback on a new tape.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. Otherwise a manual cleaning of the heads will be the next step. The third step is to send it in for factory service.
Old August 17th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #342
Tourist

vx2000 sound skipping surring playback

My vx2000 is skipping when i play back the tape.. its skipping the audio .. never had a prob with the video .. I tried cleaning with tape shape cleaner.. and didnt notice much differance.. i even tried playing a tape recorded on another camera..

any help?
thanks
Jakub Koter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #343
Warden

If the cleaning tape doesn't work, it's time to send it to Sony or a local repair company you trust.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #344
New Boot

Jakub,

I am having the same problem. I just bought a cleaner tape, but now i read that it made little difference for you. Please let me know what you find out, and i will do the same. See my post " VX200 playback scaring me."

Marcello
Old August 19th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #345
New Boot

VX200 playback problems

Mike and everyone else,

I am losing audio in the playback of my tapes. If I rewind and play back again it will play bits that prviously were missed, but will cut out other parts. It is definitely a playback and noit a recording problem. It does remain, however, a problem.
Mike advised a cleaning tape. I followed instructions with my sony cleaning tape. No luck. How should I clean manually (his advised next step)? Could someone walk me through it fairly (painstakingly)? I would hate to clean the wrong thing with the wrong cleaner etc.

Thank you all again.

Marcello

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion