DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   More Audio Add-on questions for 2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/5690-more-audio-add-questions-2000-a.html)

JeffSurofsky December 28th, 2002 05:29 PM

More Audio Add-on questions for 2000

I have the VX2000, I use it to video tape weddings and bar mitzvahs. However, I was wondering what kind of audio add-ons I should get?

I just bought a Sennheiser EW100 set from B&H, comes with the SKP100 plu on trans, the EK100 and the SK100 trans/receivers. I have a nice mic to use with the plug on transmitter but my question is more about what kind of mic to use to record for the rest of the reception. I want something to give me really great audio quality because the dvds will be obviously recorded with A.Pack on my Mac in Dolby 2.0. Would the Sennheiser Me66/K6 be the right choice?

I see a lot of people use a Minidisc to record audio as well. how do you do this? how hard is it to sync it with the video in post?

Thanks!

jeff

Mike Rehmus December 28th, 2002 09:36 PM

Re: More Audio Add-on questions for 2000

<<<-- Originally posted by JeffSurofsky : I have the VX2000, I use it to video tape weddings and bar mitzvahs. However, I was wondering what kind of audio add-ons I should get?

I just bought a Sennheiser EW100 set from B&H, comes with the SKP100 plu on trans, the EK100 and the SK100 trans/receivers. I have a nice mic to use with the plug on transmitter but my question is more about what kind of mic to use to record for the rest of the reception. I want something to give me really great audio quality because the dvds will be obviously recorded with A.Pack on my Mac in Dolby 2.0. Would the Sennheiser Me66/K6 be the right choice?

For general ambiance, the microphone on the 2000 won't be too bad as long as you don't have a noisy model. The noise level is generally very high so a fancier microphone won't get you much better sound.

For toasts and music, put the sugar cube on the output of the DJ's system if he will let you. Makes it easy to record most of the important stuff.

If you don't have a DJ to lean on, then you may need a hand-held microphone for the toasts and anything else. Then a Beta58 with the sugar-cube will be about right.

Because of the low-frequency noise found in a reception, a shotgun will pickup all the background anyway. A Cardiod or Super-cardiod is just as good a selection IMHO.

I see a lot of people use a Minidisc to record audio as well. how do you do this? how hard is it to sync it with the video in post?

I use a Sony with a $45 Sony lavalier microphone (or any other microphone including my shotgun if necessary). Sync is easy. So far mine has stayed in perfect lip-synch. If it were to slip, it is easy to bring back in by editing in a cut-away and correcting the synch at that time.

My next audio investment will be a studio MD recorder so I can transfer the sound in digital form rather than bringing it out through the earphone socket. That works OK but cannot be optimum. I run the earphone output through a Shure 267 mixer and then into the system.

Thanks!

jeff -->>>