VX2000 Owners ???? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 62
VX2000 Owners ????

So I just got my WA converter lens and normally I just shoot with a UV lens and a ND6 filter. So I take these off to put on my WAlens and I notice a silver lens that says MACRO in red letters under my UV . So my ???? is does this lens come with the VX2000 ? or did my friend who I bought the camera from put it there? In my ameatur days (5 months ago) I may have just overlooked it due to my lack of knowledge of lenses.

By the way I been lurking on the boards for a year now just soaking up the free wisdom. and would like to thank all you who post such great info.
Bigo Hoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #2
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 11,543
Hi Bigo, glad you took the plunge and made your first post. I'm a little confused though.... why do you have an ND6 filter on your VX-2000? You shouldn't generally need that. The internal ND's can handle most situations except really bright sunlight perhaps.

I have no idea why there would be a macro lens on the camera, it doesn't come with one. Generally speaking you don't want to "stack" filters and it sounds like you had an ND6+UV+Macro. That must have been affecting the quality of your image. The UV filter can be helpful in protecting the lens when needed, but each piece of glass you place in front of the camera's lens will cause some internal reflections and quality loss (especially cheap filters). Try not to use these unless you have a good reason that you understand.

One possibiliy regarding the macro is that some wide angle lenses are made of two separate parts. You can unscrew the front, larger section and use the smaller rear section as a macro lens. So perhaps that's what happened. When the previous owner went to remove his wide angle adaptor he only unscrewed the front part. But leaving a macro on the camera would generally cause everything to be out of focus unless it's really close to the camera.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
I Concur with Boyd

I concur with Boyd. You must have had some real distance focusing problems, whether you were on auto focus or manual. If you have shot some far away stuff, check it out, and shoot new stuff without it on and compare.

Chris Barcellos VX2000 owner
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Hi Bigo, glad you took the plunge and made your first post. I'm a little confused though.... why do you have an ND6 filter on your VX-2000? You shouldn't generally need that. The internal ND's can handle most situations except really bright sunlight perhaps.

I have no idea why there would be a macro lens on the camera, it doesn't come with one. Generally speaking you don't want to "stack" filters and it sounds like you had an ND6+UV+Macro. That must have been affecting the quality of your image. The UV filter can be helpful in protecting the lens when needed, but each piece of glass you place in front of the camera's lens will cause some internal reflections and quality loss (especially cheap filters). Try not to use these unless you have a good reason that you understand.

One possibiliy regarding the macro is that some wide angle lenses are made of two separate parts. You can unscrew the front, larger section and use the smaller rear section as a macro lens. So perhaps that's what happened. When the previous owner went to remove his wide angle adaptor he only unscrewed the front part. But leaving a macro on the camera would generally cause everything to be out of focus unless it's really close to the camera.
well I like using the ND to open up the IRIS (dont know if I explained it right) and while the built in ND's are Great for outdoor use ,inside they are much too dark for getting the soft look I prefer. and I generally use TIFFEN filters and lenses . but yea I was just wondering if it was an original part or if I got visited by the lens fairy. the footage I shot with it was excellant but I'm now going to reshoot and see how much of a difference there is. thanks for the quick response guys.
Bigo Hoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Billericay, England UK
Posts: 4,711
My Tecpro 0.5S wide-angle converter comes apart and leaves behind a lens marked 'macro'. You don't say what w'angle lens you have on your VX Bigo, but it could just be a Tecpro.

I agree that using an ND6 outdoors in bright light - and in combination with both internal NDs) will force you into wide aperture mode - great for selective focusing. Not quite sure I understand your reasoning behind getting softer footage, but the custom preset menu (button at the base of the top carry handle) will allow you to turn off the electronic picture sharpening and gives a beautifully soft, smooth effect.

Keep experimenting lad - it's the way to go. Video is *the* great teacher.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
My Tecpro 0.5S wide-angle converter comes apart and leaves behind a lens marked 'macro'. You don't say what w'angle lens you have on your VX Bigo, but it could just be a Tecpro.

I agree that using an ND6 outdoors in bright light - and in combination with both internal NDs) will force you into wide aperture mode - great for selective focusing. Not quite sure I understand your reasoning behind getting softer footage, but the custom preset menu (button at the base of the top carry handle) will allow you to turn off the electronic picture sharpening and gives a beautifully soft, smooth effect.

Keep experimenting lad - it's the way to go. Video is *the* great teacher.

tom.

well dont I feel silly. Its like you and BOYD said the wide angle was in two pieces LOL. also I do turn down the sharpness 2 notches . and my reasoning is I dont want my video footage to look like video. I bought my first cam in June 2005 (PVGS65) that kept me busy for 2 months till my buddy offered up my current VX2000. but like I said I been lurkin here before I even had a cam cuz I been interested in video for a year now.
Bigo Hoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo Hoggins
I was just wondering if it was an original part or if I got visited by the lens fairy.
Well, this is no joke, I get visited by the Lens Fairy every now and then. I'll open my accessory bag and there'll be a filter or a step-ring or even a telex lens, that I'm sure I never bought. I find such things in drawers and I know I didn't put them there. Actually, I think this fairy may be a trade-rat, because some of my gadgets just disappear, even though I haven't taken them out with me. When I was much younger, this fairy only rarely bothered to visit me.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Go Cycle
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 795
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
Well, this is no joke, I get visited by the Lens Fairy every now and then. I'll open my accessory bag and there'll be a filter or a step-ring or even a telex lens, that I'm sure I never bought. I find such things in drawers and I know I didn't put them there. Actually, I think this fairy may be a trade-rat, because some of my gadgets just disappear, even though I haven't taken them out with me. When I was much younger, this fairy only rarely bothered to visit me.
__________________
Lou Bruno
Lou Bruno is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network