Great Shotgun microphones for DCR-VX2000?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Great Shotgun microphones for DCR-VX2000??

I'm an avid deer and turkey hunter and wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions of microphones for a Sony VX2000? I don't know if any of you hunt turkeys, but if you dont I would like to record a turkey gobbling at a distance of 100 yards or less. It's pretty loud sound, so maybe there is a product that could achieve my main focus. Please let me know of any mics that any of you use and I'll definitely give them a try. Thank you and GOD bless!

David Ellis
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds like you're in the market for something like the Senheisser K6 and Me66 mic combo. Once you have the K6 powering module you can choose the mic with the sort of spec you want, and of course with the VX you'll need the mini jack terminal, not the XLR.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM   #3
Major Player

I tried mounting a ME66 on top of a VX2000 using a shoe mount. It was so klunky and akward I never used it. A Rode Videomic is much smaller, lighter and cheaper and already has the 1/8 inch connector you need. Not only that, but it will sound better. An audio friend of mine did a three way shootout between the ME66, the Videomic and a 415 (precurser to the 416). The 415 of course won by a wide margin, but both of us preferred the sound of the Videomic to the ME66.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #4
New Boot

I think it really depends on your price range. The ME66 or AT897 are great mics ( I prefer the AT897 ), but if you want something in the lower price range for the VX2000 try the ATR55 http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...dd5/index.html I don't think you can beat it for the price (I got one for $60USD) and it comes with a 1/8" plug on the cable which will work in the VX2000.

You will also need some type of isolating shock mount. The mount that comes with the ATR55 is useless. I would recommend the Azden SMH-1 to go with the ATR55. Without this the mic picks up EVERYTHING from the camera (zoom motor, tape motor, etc...)
Sean Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bouchard
I think it really depends on your price range. The ME66 or AT897 are great mics ( I prefer the AT897 ), but if you want something in the lower price range for the VX2000 try the ATR55 http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...dd5/index.html I don't think you can beat it for the price (I got one for $60USD) and it comes with a 1/8" plug on the cable which will work in the VX2000.

You will also need some type of isolating shock mount. The mount that comes with the ATR55 is useless. I would recommend the Azden SMH-1 to go with the ATR55. Without this the mic picks up EVERYTHING from the camera (zoom motor, tape motor, etc...)
I need to cast my "thumbs-down" vote on the ATR55. I bought a pair of them about 8 years ago at a local pro shop. They told me how good they'd be, for the price. I actually paid $115. each for them. They are just the right size to be a bit impressive-looking on a twin mount, but not too bulky.
However, their performance is mediocre, at best. I never used them much and I might never do so again. When placed in their standard pickup mode, they do fairly well, with no more than a slight bit of noise. But, at the standard setting, their pickup range is not even as good as the built-in mike on my VX2100 and the fidelity is less. When put in the long-range and more directional mode, they have good pickup power, but generate a lot of noise, making them unusable for me. I've tried them on half a dozen different camcorders, getting about the same results each time. And I have used them with good mounts I made myself, that put several inches of wood and some rubber between them and the cameras.

These days, I mostly use just the built-in stereo mike on my VX2100 or for a long-range audio pickup, my two 19-inch Audix UEM 81-Cs, which have extraordinary sensitivity, tight directionality and good frequency response. It's been several years since they quit selling them, however. I also have a cute little Sony stereo mike, the ECM-MS908C, which gives me about a 50% advantage in both pickup range and directionality, over the VX2100's own mike. It has a 90/120 degree switchable pickup pattern. It delivers fairly clean sound and surprisingly good fidelity. It has its own battery and cost me $100. It's better suited for a smaller camcorder, but sometimes it is just what I need.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mini Jack issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Sounds like you're in the market for something like the Senheisser K6 and Me66 mic combo. Once you have the K6 powering module you can choose the mic with the sort of spec you want, and of course with the VX you'll need the mini jack terminal, not the XLR.

tom.

I m not sure if Tom is referring to an XLR adapter or not, but I have the ME66 with K6 power, and use a BeachTec adapter. I works very nice.
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Stephen, I have the Sony ECM-909, probably not a long way off your 908. Your description of it matches my mic closely.

And Chris - I too use the Beachtek DXA-4 so that I can plug in the K6 and radio receiver into my VX2k.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion