DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Stuck UV filter!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/59950-stuck-uv-filter.html)

Bill Grant February 5th, 2006 02:46 PM

Stuck UV filter!!

Hello all. I just got a VX2100 and had my first shoot yesterday. I put a promaster UV filter on before going out (outside shoot). I removed it once to clean my lens, and later put on my Wide Angle adapter. Now I cannot get the UV filter off of the lens. Can anyone help me figure what moght have happened, or what my chances are of ever getting this filter off? I am a fairly small weak fingered dude, so I hope that may be it. It gives me the cold sweat on my forehead to sit and try with all my might to get this filter moving. As far as I can tell it is on there straight, I think the Wide angle must have tightened it down too far... HELP!!!

Bill

Mike Rehmus February 5th, 2006 02:50 PM

Try placing a rubber band around the filter ring and then try not to squeeze too hard as you are probably distorting the ring, making it bind.

If this doesn't work, you can purchase a tool that will allow you to remove it.

It is highly recommended that you not leave the filter on when using the WA lens. The WA was not designed for the additional distance or glass.

Steve McDonald February 6th, 2006 12:48 AM

Before I ever use a filter or a step-ring, I customize it for easy removal. I take a fine-toothed hacksaw blade and carefully cut two little notches on opposite sides of its outer rim. These are only about 1/16-inch deep. I carry a dull table knife in my video bag and place it across the filter, in those notches. They come off easily in this way.
If a filter is stuck and doesn't have notches, you could cut them while it's on the lens, but you'd have to be extremely careful not to get any of the metal grit on the glass or worse, in the camcorder. Blow off any grit and then use a lens brush. If you rub it with a cloth when there's grit underneath, the glass will be scratched. Sometimes, by just placing the palm of your hand on the front of a stuck filter, you can break it loose. Your palm will spread out the force all around and won't bind the threads by putting pressure at just two points.

Curt Talbot February 6th, 2006 08:43 PM

I found that using an elastic band around the filter in combination with a jar lid opener worked great recently for me. No scratches at all.

Bob Hart February 6th, 2006 10:22 PM

If the other methods described here have not yet been successful, you could try putting the wide-angle lens back on. Don't tighten it down, only bring it up to the end of the thread travelto butt down but not bind.

Have another person hold the camera.

Grasp the wide-angle adaptor with one hand. Grasp the UV filter with fingertips of the other hand or with any of the innovations suggested above.

Exert pressure onto the junction of the filter and the wide-angle adaptor by pulling the wide-angle adaptor in a direction forward and away from the camera. You might even apply just a hint of sideways pressure.

The objective is to cause the threads at the metal junctions to bind slightly.

Whilst applying this pressure, also twist together, the UV filter and the wide-angle lens in the unscrew drection = anti-clockwise.This should start the UV filter unscrewing. Once this happens, release all pressure and remove the combination normally.

The reason for this manouvre is that a metal to metal junction may generate more friction under pressure than a metal to plastic junction. Also, the filter ring is more likely to remain correctly circular under finger pressure, if something firm is screwed inside of it. The animal logic is to use whatever put it in there to take it back out.

If you have already hacksawed the UV filter, don't try this method as the UV filter internal thread will have been damaged and it will only be forced in tighter.

Whilst lenses and filters are made to fine tolerances I have found in the course of home-brewing different adaptors and spacers that there can be different flavours of the 58mm filter thread between brands. Some can be quite lose, others tight.

Another solution is to use some PVA woodworking glue. Apply it sparingly to the front edge of the filter rim with a match stick or toothpick. Glue a piece of thin plywood to the filter. Take care that the glue doesn't get into the threads on the camera. Leave it overnight to cure, the using the flat palm method described in the previous post, apply pressure inwards against the filter and attempt to unscrew it.

To get the plywood and glue off the filter afterwards you put them in a bowl of water to soak.This may not do the coating on the filter a lot of good.