Telephoto Adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 17th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Telephoto Adapters

I'm a hobbyist lucky enough to own a VX2000. I started with a Sony D8, then looked at footage I shot in Portugal and decided I wanted the low light and definition of 3-CCD. I have a Canon WD-58 wide angle converter and I'm curious about the other half - a converter to double the zoom capability, which is considerably less than on the D8 (20X). I haven't seen one mentioned in my few months on this forum but I'm sure that with the concentration of talent and experience in this group I can get some advice on whether or not to buy one and if so, what options to look at. I'm not on a Century Optics budget until someone starts paying me to play so while I am interested in any and all input I'd appreciate some buying advice toward the other end of the price spectrum.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sony 1.7X Teleconverter

Hi David,
I bought the VX2000 in late June the Sony 1.7X and the WD-50.
I am happy with the WD-50 but was not satisfied with the Sony 1.7X because it seemed a little soft and not as saturated as without the adapter. I was able to sell the 1.7X and am now ordering the Century DS-20TC-SB which is the bayonet mount for the VX2000.
I can not say how good the Century is but I understand that it is good quality.
By the way I am astonished at how much this camera picks up in low light. I took some video and snaps with almost candlelight intensity where I was seing only black and white with the naked eye and was surprised to see all the colors in the video.
Good luck,
Mike
Mike Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

Can you give me some feedback on the Century tele-extender you bought?

I'm thinking of buyng one for my cm2.

Cheers,

Dirk
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Century 2.0X bayonet mount.

Hi thisisforlife,
I just received my Century 2X bayonet mount for VX2000 and tried it outside.
First, it is well built and when fitted on the camera looks like it is part of the camera and not just stuck out on the end. The bayonet mount really feels snug and nice, although I had to take of my UV filter which is a nuisance.
As far as I can see the image is just as sharp and contrasty as with the bare lens. In other words I don't seem get a soft image like I did with the Sony 1.7X which I had.
Focusing is a little slower, but that is to be expected.
Off course it vignets about half way wide angle, but thats also normal.
The front lens element is right out there on front, so I think I will have to get a lens shade soon.
Mike Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #5
New Boot

Portugal Power

hi, I noticed that you did some shooting in Portugal. I will also be doing some shooting there and was wondering if someone could please tell me what I need to know about the power. I've seen that there are three different types of power plugs. Is this correct? I use a Panasonic Ag-DVC80. Will the AC adapter work there? It appears that it will work with 240v/50/60hz. So will I just need a plug adapter???
Any advice will be greatly appreciated,
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:37 AM   #6
Major Player

David, you might read my review of the Sony HG-1758 telextender lens, that's now on page two of this forum. My understanding from reading several messages on forums, is that the Century Optics 2X extender vignettes at a closer zoom-back point and causes softer focus at certain points in the zoom range. I have no personal experience with this lens, however.

As I describe in the review, I found no soft focus points with the Sony extender and the image I got with it was just as sharp as without it.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #7
Trustee

I also have the Sony teles and haven't noticed any problems.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #8
Major Player

This is interesting-----some people have used the Sony HG1758 on the VX camera group and have had sharp focus with it throughout the zoom range. Some of these same people have said the Century Optics 2X extender did have some soft focus areas. However, there's another group that describes a reverse experience, telling of flawless focusing with the Century lens and some soft zones with the one from Sony.

This shows again, that everyone sees things differently. You really have to make the final judgement about your choice of equipment for yourself. There is also the factor that two pieces of equipment, although the same model, may not perform exactly the same. This seems to be expecially true with lenses. The very slightest variation, flaw or misadjustment in the complex optics of either the basic lens or an add-on type, can make a significant difference in the image characteristics.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Oops, another little correction coming up. (Mr fusspot tom, or what?) It's a common thought that adding a 2x converter doubles your zoom range, (you say David that you want "a converter to double the zoom capability") whereas in fact it does quite the opposite, often halving the zoom. The zoom stays as a 12 times whatever you screw to the front. All that happens in your case is the 6 to 72 changes into a 12 to 144 mm, but this is only theoretical.

The severe vignetting (the toilet-roll syndrome) usually happens somewhere about the mid point, so severely limiting the zoom that's available to you.

You'll also need a very good tripod, as working at focal lengths that translate to 1040mm in still camera terms is more than the Steadyshot can handle.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Well Tom, let's call it increased zoom power when you add a telextender, even though the range of the lens isn't increased. Coloquially, one usage of the term "zoom", has come to be synonomous with lens magnification, regardless of any pure definition of the term. I believe "Video-speak", is an international dialect (except for the French, of course, who insist on coining completely different words for everything-----"magnetoscope de camera").

Typically, when you use an extender, you're interested mainly in the increased magnification at the top end, so the vignetting farther back is something that is tolerable. I have a large, soft pocket in my shooting jacket and the extender lens gets dropped in there and pulled back out, dozens of times on an afternoon of wildlife and nature shooting. Actually, I take three extenders with me, that give 16.8, 20.4 and 26.4X magnification. The vignetting increases with the magnification of these extenders, so as the power goes up, the amount of time they're used goes down.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion