Auto Shutter Speed on PD170 Menu - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 24th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Paterson

When in 'Full Auto':

If the 'Auto Shutter' is 'Off' - the shutter speed is fixed to 1/60 in your case or 1/50 in the case of a PAL camera and there is no way to change this.

When in 'Manual' i.e. slider in the middle:

You can set shutter speed to whatever you want and its value will be displayed either by using 'Shutter Speed' option or 'Automatic Exposure' with 'Shutter Speed Priority'.

Same for Iris, Gain, WB, etc. etc.

A little trick that I taught myself - it is possible to fix both the aperture and shutter speed manually without using AE. Camera in 'Manual' mode, set aperture first manually and then shutter speed manually.

Dale.
Dale,
Thanks, that explains it perfectly:The shutter speed is fixed at 1/60 sec (NTSC) when auto shutter is off in menu (in full auto mode).
Ken McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Dale said, "A little trick that I taught myself - it is possible to fix both the aperture and shutter speed manually without using AE. Camera in 'Manual' mode, set aperture first manually and then shutter speed manually."

Just to point out that you can't do this on the VX/PD. In the manual mode you *must* select and set a shutter speed first, and only then can you choose to set an aperture (or you can leave the aperture and gain in auto of course).

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #33
Major Player

Thanks Tom,

You are probably right - I think I got the order mixed up but I do know that it is possible.

You have to be careful doing this i.e. you have to monitor your zebra patterns etc. constantly and use the ND filters if necessary - I know because I managed to overexpose my VX on more than one occasion and the only way to recover was to reset the camera!!!

Works great in low light situations though.

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #34
Inner Circle

probably right?? :-)
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #35
Major Player

OK, OK - definitely right (although I will be blowing the dust off my VX tomorrow to complete a promo for Sony - my own project - and will check) :)!

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion