Sound "skips" in recording and playing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 05:39 PM   #1
Tourist

Sound "skips" in recording and playing

I have been using the Sony VX2000 for 2 years, with the BeachTek audio adaptor for connection to sound boards. A couple months ago, I started having sound problems. There are gaps or skips in the sound -- this happens when I record from the sound board or from the built-in microphone, and it skips when playing back a tape (a tape that I recorded elsewhere, with no sound problems on the tape).
I sent the camera to Sony for repairs, and they replaced 4 parts and said it was fixed. I made 1-2 recordings after I got it back, and the sound problems started occuring again.
Has anyone had similar problems -- and did you find a solution?
I'm desperate -- THANKS!
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Call Sony and get them to pay to pick up the camera and fix it for free. Tell them this is a repeat return for repair. That normally speeds them up but you have to keep on top of them.

They should pay for you to return the camera and ship it back to you both ways via FedEx. In fact, they should arrange to have the camera picked up.

It kinda sounds like the heads are worn out.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:05 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Mike --

I already contacted Sony -- they said they'll try to fix it again (for free, thankfully). They said they replaced 4 parts last time, so I guess I thought they had already replaced the heads.

Hopefully they'll be able to fix it -- if not, they said they'd give me a new one (that sounds too good to be true!).

Thanks again --

Denise :-)
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Wrangler

Well, they gave me a new PD150 last month. They normally don't make those statements lightly.

Keep after them and good luck.

A few thoughts.

I am assuming the Beachtek isn't the problem and that the 1/8" microphone input socket on the camera isn't being stressed by the cable from the Beachtek. That is a common problem with all these XLR adapter setups. They can put too much pressure on the camera microphone socket and the springs inside the connector finally fail.

I guess a way to tell would be to record video and sound in VTR mode and play it back. If that works, then it's in the audio circuitry somewhere around the microphone (circuit-wise). If it is still there, then the transport or the audio circuit has a problem.
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks again for your input!

I'll be talking to them about the repairs as soon as they receive the camera, and I'll ask them what they have checked -- at least this time I'll know what questions to ask.

Thanks again!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:35 PM   #6
New Boot

DID IT GET FIXED?

I'm having a similar problem with a PD-150 that I just bought [second hand].
Was your's new?
Thanks.
I posted a description of my problems today - 5-2-2003.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:35 AM   #7
Tourist

My Sony VX2000 was new -- I bought it 2 years ago. I sent it back to Sony twice, but they finally fixed it -- at least it seems OK so far!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion