Sony VX2100--problems like GL2 "Remove Tape" Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony VX2100--problems like GL2 "Remove Tape" Problem

I am going to be purchasing a camera in the next few months and thought that I had decided on the Canon GL2... until I came across the thread dealing with the "Remove Casette" error. It appears that this error is fairly common with the Canon GL2 and not something that I am not excited about dealing with. It sounds like I could purchase a DV Tape rewinder and avoid the problem, but I am wondering if I would be better off to just purchase a Sony VX2100? I saw some input on the GL2 thread stating that the VX2100 has similiar problems so I was wondering if anyone can either verify that fact, or refute it based on your experience with the VX2100?

Thanks for your help,
Jim
Jim Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:32 AM   #2
Major Player

What problem is this? The one where if you play a tape to the end in the camera it will eat the tape? I believe that was an inherent problem on the VX2000 but it's been cleared up on the 2100.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Fred Retread

Jim,
Although I am an advocate of the GL2, I must admit that you see a lot of GL2 "EJECT TAPE" error complaints all over the place, but the only post I've seen about that occuring in the VX2100 is the one you're referring to.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been using a VX2100 for about a year now and haven't experienced this error.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #5
New Boot

I've been useing the gl2 for about a year and I haven't received the '' eject tape'' error
Austin Puskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

VX2000 Eat Tapes ??

I have a VX2000, never ate a tape. I have on two or three occasions gotten an eject tape message, did so, ran a tape cleaner, and then went on about my business. You should be considering camera for what you want, not what some one who had some bad luck with a camera is griping about. There is always a belly acher out there on any tried and true product. I believe the Sony VX2100 will outshine GL2 in most areas, including low light, sharpness and autofocus features, but you may like the color rendition better in the GL2. I figure most of the things in VX2100 that people don't like can be corrected in post, ie., softening the picture, adjusting color.

But get what you feel most comfortable with, otherwise, you'll become one of those belly achers.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

always had this problem...

funny you should mention this...
my vx2100 cam seems to have this problem. I can't go past 50 minutes on the tape, or most likely when i rewind the tape...it eats it.

i can record on the full tape and then rewind it in another deck or cam, and then play it in vx2100 and it seems to be fine. so that is what i usually do.
Very annoying though.

Any one else dealt with this problem? I would like to get it repaired, but not sure if i can trust it anymore?

I love the camera...just wish i could feel safe to rewind the tapes (ahh, the things people take for granted sometimes).

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

edit: already responded to this thread, didn't realize it.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Trustee

I have had a VX2100 for about 3 years now and this issue is foreign to me. IOW, I have never seen an issue like you have described.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Sounds like you need the tape path realigned. You can send it to Sony if it's under warranty, otherwise I'd strongly recommend sending it to Armato's in NYC (Queens, NY).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Voog
funny you should mention this...
my vx2100 cam seems to have this problem. I can't go past 50 minutes on the tape, or most likely when i rewind the tape...it eats it.

i can record on the full tape and then rewind it in another deck or cam, and then play it in vx2100 and it seems to be fine. so that is what i usually do.
Very annoying though.

Any one else dealt with this problem? I would like to get it repaired, but not sure if i can trust it anymore?

I love the camera...just wish i could feel safe to rewind the tapes (ahh, the things people take for granted sometimes).

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Inner Circle

This was a problem on the TRV900, but I've been using 2 VX2ks for many years and never experienced this tape crinkle on rewind.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I've never seen this on a VX2000 I've used or on my PD170. I have experienced the "CLEANING CASSETTE" error on my PD though. Turning the camera off and back on clears it. I've attributed the error to the tapes more than the camera. If I switch tapes or move to a different spot on the offending tape, the error goes away. I do run a cleaning cassette periodically (every 15-20 hours of recording).

John
John Laird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion