Capturing vx2100 tapes with gs120 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing vx2100 tapes with gs120

Hello All,
I have not ben able to find this specific answer with a search so I hope someone can help me. I have 3 weddings in the can, all shot with vx2100. I am trying to transfer them into Vegas 6.0 using my panasonic gs120 as a deck. I am experiencing myriad video and audio dropouts. No lockups anymore but I cannot seem to get a whole tape into my system without dropping or clipping. My question is am I barking up the wrong tree here trying to get the gs120 to act as a deck, or do I have an issue with this specific gs120. I use only sony tapes, but I have used other tapes in my gs120. Only sony tapes in the sony. I thought that I had a problem with shooting LP but this last one was in SP and I had similar problems. I also tried the same tape in the 2100 and it works fine with the same setup, so I know it is a gs120 issue. Also I input one whole tape from the gs120 shot on the gs120, and it worked fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
Grant Photo & Video

http://www.grantphotovideo.com
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Bill:

I have VX2000 and GS120. I don't normally use either to capture video. I did test my GS120 just now to play a VX2000 tape, and it captured fine. I use an old Sharp WD250 to capture all my DV to the computer.

The recommendations are that with LP mode, you should stick with the camera you shot it with. Seems to create a lot of issues, otherwise.

Second, I have seen reports of the problem occuring between Sony cams and Canon's at times. The issue is the alignment of the tape in relation to the digital track, as it was explained to me. I don't know technical aspects, but from what I gathered, the camera lays down the digital information on a track in the middle of the tape. Between one camera and the next, the actual placement of the track might be off, and create a problem for reading.

However, this sounds more like a problem of the stream being interrupted at time of capture. Could be a problem with cameras firewire port, the firewire cord itself, of even a problem with capturing to a drive. (USB 2.0 drives don't work that well as a capture drive, for me.)
However, inasmuch as you
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll take the simple route. Did you run a head cleaner tape thru the Panny?
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Major Player

no

good thought...
Bill Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion