DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Mini DV tapes, which ones? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/6862-mini-dv-tapes-ones.html)

Dominik Chrzan February 12th, 2003 09:40 PM

Mini DV tapes, which ones?

sorry if this has been covered in the past, i did a quick search with little success on this topic.

basically, i was just curious which tapes everyone prefers to use with their vx2k/pd150?

i don't recall where, but i think i read that generally the sony “PREMIUM" 60 minute (90 LP) tapes were a favorite. any special reason? does the type of filming/environment make a difference? as always, price is somewhat of a factor, too.

again, sorry for the simple nature of this topic.

cheers,

dominik

Brian Pink February 12th, 2003 09:49 PM

in my PD150, for miniDV, i use the Sony cheapies. they're like $8 a tape, but down to $2 or $3 on sale at Fry's sometimes... i've had no problems.

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2003 10:28 PM

Don't compromise on tape. It's already the least expensive component of the production chain; why risk glitches using dirt cheap tape? Quality DV tape does not have to cost very much; don't shoot yourself in the foot by cutting corners on the tape. Spend the extra two dollars. This is your video we're talking about.

Sony Premium is a nice compromise... it's not the low grade cheapo and it's not the most expensive, either. Our sponsor Pro-Tape at www.pro-tape.com carries 60min Sony Premium at $4.25 ea., an excellent value. Plus by purchasing from them, you're supporting these message boards. Hope this helps,

Brian Pink February 13th, 2003 09:01 AM

whoa thanks for pointing that out Chris. that's a good price for those tapes, i usually see them around $10 retail.

Nori Wentworth February 13th, 2003 11:43 AM

Hi Dominic,

What ever you go with, don't use JVC.

Check out this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6072

-Nori

Wayne Orr February 14th, 2003 02:04 PM

I prefer the Sony Excellence for my personal use, and the PDVM (DVCAM) tapes for professional clients. The Excellence is a step up from the Premium series and costs more. But then, I don't look for the cheapest motor oil to put in my car either.

Adi Head February 15th, 2003 09:35 AM

they say sony, panasonic, fuji... are all good brands. as far as i know, the differences between the cheap line tapes and the more expensive ones are durability and if they have memory chips or not.

i use PANASONIC AY-DVM63PQ tapes. no problems so far.

only use the 60 minute tapes. there are 80 minute tapes and so on, but i wouldn't use them. i've been told that the load of extra tape is too much for the camera to pull which can result in drops as well as damage to your camera.

of course there is the advice: DON'T SWITCH TAPES. switching between different tapes of the same brand is ok, to my knowledge. but dont switch back and forth from different brands (as long as you're using the same camera). different brands use different lubricants on their tapes and switching from one to the other can damage your record and play drum.

read: http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Adi Head February 19th, 2003 11:59 AM

by the way.... if anyone familiar with PANASONIC AY-DVM63MQ tapes can tell me how they differ from the PQ line of tapes, i'd be grateful. thanks

Bryan Beasleigh February 19th, 2003 11:06 PM

It is my understanding that the Sony Cheapy, the Premium and Ecellence come from the same tape sheet. The Excellence is cut from the centre of the sheet where the coatings would be the most uniform.

I use the premium and have never had a problem.

Chris and Wayne are right, we pay thousands for a camera and bitch about a few cents on the price of a tape.

David Hurdon February 20th, 2003 07:31 AM

MiniDV Tapes

I just switched from the Panasonic DVM60 to the DVM63MQ, when the local DV Shop started offering them for the same price, CDN$9.00 in five packs. I've logged four hours of a recent day of interviewing. The shots look great and I feel better knowing I'm using a quality tape.

John Locke February 20th, 2003 07:53 AM

I'll throw in another endorsement for DVM63MQ.

Alexander McLeod February 20th, 2003 09:01 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : I'll throw in another endorsement for DVM63MQ. -->>>

And yet another.
Sandy

Mike Rehmus February 20th, 2003 09:33 AM

While I believe that the tapes available in the marketplace are good quality, it is logical that the manufacturer of the camera is going to optimize their tapes for their camcorders.

So while the other brands of tape may indeed be of good quality, there is not enough difference in price between the brands to justify FOR MY USE, anything other than Sony brands for my Sony cameras. It just makes no sense to do otherwise since I'm interested in maximizing the lifetime of my equipment.

I'd be using JVC tapes for a JVC camcorder if I had an all-JVC shop and Panasonic if I had a Panasonic shop.

Warning, Social/technical commentary---------

Digital tapes, marketing hype aside, are recording either a maximum signal or a minimum signal. i.e., digital. The quality of the recording medium, as long as it stays intact, HAS NO IMPACT ON THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO. Ever.

So as long as the tape does not damage the deck and stays intact, there is no reason, other than physical compatibility, to select one tape over another. Especially in our NLE environments where the tape is treated quite gently and not really subject to the abuse and excessive use of a Linear Editing environment.

----------------------------

The net result for me is that I use the least expensive brand of Sony MiniDV tapes where I can. DVCam where I must. More expensive tape or DVCam tape will not give me one additional micro-level of quality. Ever.

In 7 years of camcorder and DV deck operations at the local Community College, we have never experienced tape dropout or clogged heads (nor have I). Except for the inevitable student screw-up, the cameras and decks have never had anything but Sony tapes in their diet.

Edward Seid February 21st, 2003 02:05 AM

miniDV tapes at Costco or Sam's Club

I haven't checked out Costco, but the local Sam's Club carries Maxell 6-packs. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these?

Which brand does Costco carry?

BillF741 February 21st, 2003 05:54 AM

I use the maxell's that are on sale at Sam's. I have used them for the past 2 and a half years without any problems at all. I have even used them to record dvcam mode on my PD 150. Still, no problems. I usually have my raw footage, the edited video, and then a back up of raw and the finished project. The cost is very helpful when you start factoring in backup copies. I have great confidence in Maxell tapes.

Sincerely,
Bill