DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Intermittent dead pixel???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/69316-intermittent-dead-pixel.html)

Bill Edmunds June 11th, 2006 08:24 AM

Intermittent dead pixel????

While shooting a wedding Friday, I noticed a green dot in the center of the screen of my DSR250. It lasted a while, then when I started shooting again after a break of approx. 45 minutes (switched to another camera), the dot had disappeared. Another break of 60 minutes (dinner), and the dot returned.

Shot something yesterday.... no dot.

What the heck?!?!? Can a pixel work and then not work back and forth? What would it cost to have this fixed?

David Aguilar June 11th, 2006 07:17 PM

Whats the dot recorded on the tape?
or did it only show on the cameras LCD Monitor/Viewfinder?

Mike Rehmus June 11th, 2006 08:47 PM

Camera temperature has something to do with it. I have a hot pixel on my DSR-300 and when cold, the pixel shows up only at max gain. If I run the camera for a few hours, the pixel will show up at 0 gain. DSR-300's do get warm as do PD-150's if run long enough.

Bill Edmunds June 11th, 2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
Camera temperature has something to do with it. I have a hot pixel on my DSR-300 and when cold, the pixel shows up only at max gain. If I run the camera for a few hours, the pixel will show up at 0 gain. DSR-300's do get warm as do PD-150's if run long enough.

What do you do then? Switch to another camera? What if you're in the middle of recording an event? Does your PD150 have this issue as well?

The odd part is that the temperature was very even inside the room I was operating in. I had only been runing the camera for one or two hours as well.

Bill Edmunds June 11th, 2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aguilar
Whats the dot recorded on the tape?
or did it only show on the cameras LCD Monitor/Viewfinder?

Recorded on the tape, alas.

Tom Hardwick June 13th, 2006 04:53 AM

It'll be a stationery dot on the image then. You could trry to mask it with a clear frame with a dark dot in the exact spot.

Happened to me once. A tiny spot of grease on my wide-angle caused a flare spot that really spoilt a lot of my outdoor, intothesun footage. So I made up a soft-edged mask and colour-coded it to suit. Took hours.

Worked very well indeed, and has taught me to be very careful indeed with lens cleaning, aperture selection, focal lengths and hoods.

tom.

Lou Bruno June 14th, 2006 06:44 PM

Hate to say this, Mike is correct. Camera temperature effects the appearance of a dead pixel in the CCD block. You most likely will have to place another block in the unit or find a repair shop that MAY mask the dead pixel via a mapping device. If it is visible at 0 gain, it will have to be replaced.

LOU

Bill Edmunds June 14th, 2006 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno
Hate to say this, Mike is correct. Camera temperature effects the appearance of a dead pixel in the CCD block. You most likely will have to place another block in the unit or find a repair shop that MAY mask the dead pixel via a mapping device. If it is visible at 0 gain, it will have to be replaced.

Dare I ask... how much will this cost me?