PD170 audio trouble at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 19th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Tourist

PD170 audio trouble

I recently rented PD170 and found out that the recorded video does not have sound. Is there a way to retrieve the sound? Unfortunately, I found out that after I have returned the camera. Thanks
Elias Taye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Your PD170 should have come with a microphone as part of the package. Did you get this, and did you plug it into the XLR socket? Did you use another microphone with an internal battery - did you turn this mic on before you filmed? Were you filming something very quiet?

Did you then switch the camera so that a phantom voltage was applied, and did you select the auto or the manual audio settings?

Did you check the on-screen meter to see if the audio was being recorded? Did you monitor on headphones and hear that all was well when you filmed with it?

On your timeline is the audo visible as a waveform? Have you checked the audio by switching to listen to both channels?

So many questions. You could've supplied some of these answers in your original post. My guess is you didn't use a microphone at all Elias.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, chances are you either had no mic installed or had the little switches set incorrectly. There's a button in the back on the left side marked AUDIO LEVEL - this will cycle the VU meters on/off the display. Not as good as monitoring with headphones, but at least you'll know you've got audio. Also, if you use the factory mic, you must have the phantom power turned on.

Unfortunately, there's no retrieving audio you never recorded in the first place, assuming that's what happened. Perhaps a VX2100 might be a better choice for you - video's just as good as the 170, has built-in stereo mics. The people who rented you the camera should have explained how it works.

Also, I noticed you live in my area. Where did you rent the cam from and how much was it? I might need a second cam sometime.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Your PD170 should have come with a microphone as part of the package. Did you get this, and did you plug it into the XLR socket? Did you use another microphone with an internal battery - did you turn this mic on before you filmed? Were you filming something very quiet?

Did you then switch the camera so that a phantom voltage was applied, and did you select the auto or the manual audio settings?

Did you check the on-screen meter to see if the audio was being recorded? Did you monitor on headphones and hear that all was well when you filmed with it?

On your timeline is the audo visible as a waveform? Have you checked the audio by switching to listen to both channels?

So many questions. You could've supplied some of these answers in your original post. My guess is you didn't use a microphone at all Elias.

tom.
Tom:

Thanks for the excellent questions and tips. I should have used your advices before I rented. I will be careful next time.

Regards
Elias
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harmon
Yes, chances are you either had no mic installed or had the little switches set incorrectly. There's a button in the back on the left side marked AUDIO LEVEL - this will cycle the VU meters on/off the display. Not as good as monitoring with headphones, but at least you'll know you've got audio. Also, if you use the factory mic, you must have the phantom power turned on.

Unfortunately, there's no retrieving audio you never recorded in the first place, assuming that's what happened. Perhaps a VX2100 might be a better choice for you - video's just as good as the 170, has built-in stereo mics. The people who rented you the camera should have explained how it works.

Also, I noticed you live in my area. Where did you rent the cam from and how much was it? I might need a second cam sometime.

John:

Thanks for the advice. I know two places you can rent. I will send you the address in this week.

Elias
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Major Player

you aren't alone...

Elias--Sorry to hear about your no audio experience, but you aren't the only one who grabbed some great soundless video--when I first got my two PD170s, I set them both up to capture my son's guitar recital, running two wireless mics into my xlr inputs. I had no phantom power on for the shotguns and had it on for the wireless (just the opposite of what I needed) and when I got a look at the footage I had 2 great angles of video and no usable audio...how embarassing is that?
Lesson learned, always check your sound out with headphones...always. And go with manual unlinked on the record levels when using multiple audio inputs to get it all in balance.
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Another confession

Mine gaffe occured at grandchildrens church musical. I started out with the idea of using XLR adapter and mic. Slapped the XLR on the bottom of my VX2000, plugged it in. Then pulled my Sennheiser out to connect. Battery was dead. Okay, no problem... I 'll just shoot with camera mics. Started rolling. Half way through, though I'd listen to sound.... none there-- I had forgotten to unplug XLR adapter.....
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Mine gaffe occured at grandchildrens church musical. I started out with the idea of using XLR adapter and mic. Slapped the XLR on the bottom of my VX2000, plugged it in. Then pulled my Sennheiser out to connect. Battery was dead. Okay, no problem... I 'll just shoot with camera mics. Started rolling. Half way through, though I'd listen to sound.... none there-- I had forgotten to unplug XLR adapter.....
So did you at least wind up with half the musical with audio? Stuff like that of the kids and grandkids are so precious to me, also. Of course there will be plenty more opportunities to capture another concert or musical, but all of the footage I grabbed of my kids growing up (that I have since backed up onto dvd) is such a treasure to me now. Not to mention great to have around when you want to embarrass them as adults...
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harmon

John:

These are phone numbers I have, hope that helps: 248-489.0090 and 248-471.6010 and 734-451.5100. You may want to check the website also, here is the address: www.roscorrentals.com/cameras/hi_def.html

Good Luck
Elias
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Taye
John:

These are phone numbers I have, hope that helps: 248-489.0090 and 248-471.6010 and 734-451.5100. You may want to check the website also, here is the address: www.roscorrentals.com/cameras/hi_def.html

Good Luck
Elias
OK, I'm familiar with Roscor. I just may rent one for this weekend while mine goes back to the shop AGAIN.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Croce
So did you at least wind up with half the musical with audio? Stuff like that of the kids and grandkids are so precious to me, also. Of course there will be plenty more opportunities to capture another concert or musical, but all of the footage I grabbed of my kids growing up (that I have since backed up onto dvd) is such a treasure to me now. Not to mention great to have around when you want to embarrass them as adults...
Yeah, I got half anyway. And I was going through old tapes last week that seemed so mundane when I captured them (grandkids just 3 or 4 years ago) and the boy is that something to see- a treasure like you said.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Fred Retread

Hey Vin,
I'm fairly local to Colchester. If you're ever stuck for another hand, give me a shout. I'm off for the summer and will work for the fun of it and a cheeseburger from Harry's. And my VX2100 footage would be compatible with your PD170s.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion