DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD 170 Audio Settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/70948-pd-170-audio-settings.html)

Ryan Leiderman July 6th, 2006 10:27 AM

PD 170 Audio Settings

My first go with the camera for some test footage resulted in no audio..so I fiddled with the audio settings and got audio on my next try... please confirm that they are the correct settings? I am running the included shotgun mic into xlr input 1.

Rec CH Select: Ch1 and Ch2

Input 1

Input Level: mic
+48V: On

Input 2

Input Level: Line

+48V: On

should I just have 48v on input 2 off since there is nothing plugged into 2nd XLR input?

Mike Rehmus July 6th, 2006 10:35 AM

What settings you use on channel 2 will not matter.

If you want to goof-proof your audio, you will set one channel to Auto Gain and the other to about 1/3rd in manual. Then you will be able to handle quite loud sound (manual channel) and quite low-level sound (auto channel). You can switch between either channel as necessary in post.

Ryan Leiderman July 6th, 2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
What settings you use on channel 2 will not matter.

If you want to goof-proof your audio, you will set one channel to Auto Gain and the other to about 1/3rd in manual. Then you will be able to handle quite loud sound (manual channel) and quite low-level sound (auto channel). You can switch between either channel as necessary in post.

thanks...does each xlr input have 2 channels? or does each channel refer to each input? how do you get the onboard mic to record? would it make sense to use that as back up

Mike Rehmus July 6th, 2006 11:03 AM

Only channel 1 input can be directed to both audio channels. When you do this, channel 2 input is inoperative.

If you want to plug another sound source into channel 2, switch the channel 1 output to channel 1 only. Then set channel 2 up for the other sound source.

Many of us use an on-board microphone as a backup, especially when you have no control over the other sound source.

Ryan Leiderman July 6th, 2006 11:14 AM

also..in my menu set up..should my audio mode be FS32K or FS48K?

Mike Rehmus July 6th, 2006 12:15 PM

48 always unless you need 4 channels of sound (the second two can only be accessed after you have recorded the video and the main 2 channels.

Frankly, the poorer quality of 32 when recording any sound you care about will keep you away from that setting. I've never used it.

Ryan Leiderman July 10th, 2006 07:31 PM

on my shoot I did as suggested, split the channels and had one on AGC and the other at about 1/3 power..

now as a novice, I'm using windows free movie maker software to capture and I don't see any way to pick one audio channel or another...that should be an option right? and if not, how does the software decide which channel to use?

Mike Rehmus July 10th, 2006 07:43 PM

The software won't know. You have to make the decision on which channel to use when. If that free software won't allow you to do this and if it will allow you to import an audio waveform, you can edit the sound in another program and then import it to your video editing software.

Be advised that the free stuff may not get you very far and audio is one of the places they normally cut corners. You'll have to dig out the manual or help files and see what they will allow.

Ryan Leiderman July 19th, 2006 09:14 PM

I upgraded to Avid Free DV and now i'm able to pick which audio channels to include, I end up using both anyhow..not sure why.

anyhow..i find that the person im taping on stage with a mic doesnt come out loud enough so i have to boost the volume in avid..but when I do that the crowd clapping and laughter comes out too loud. :( is there a way to adjust the volume at specific points?