Mic Recommendations for PD-150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 24th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic Recommendations for PD-150?

I don't know too much about mic's other than I do not like the one that comes with the PD-150. It seems to me to pick up too much background/ambient sound (as well as the camera's sounds).
I think I want a shotgun mic (don't know exactly what that means but I believe the stock PD-150 mic is a "shotgun") I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of specs but am willing to spend between $300-$500. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Erik
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I like the Sennheiser ME66 but many folks use the AT822B (I think thats the designation). Both are good buys
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Erik, I'm in the same boat. After reviewing the relevant posts here, it sounds like the Sennheiser ME66/K6 is the preferred shotgun mic by most here. A bit pricey in the $375-400 range, but from what I've read, it's worth the investment.

Currently, I'm shopping around for a good price. Best I've found so far is $375 + shipping. If anyone has a better deal, please share :)
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Difference btw. ME66 with/K6 or K6P?

Is this correct? With the K6 the mic can run off either its own battery or off the PD-150's but with the K6P the mic can ONLY run off the PD-150's? If so why is the K6P more expensive?
Thanks again.
Erik
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #5
Wrangler

Go to this thread to read an erie mirror of this same topic.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5480&highlight=K6P
Old February 24th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks to everyone, especially Mike for that link.
Erik.
Old February 26th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

mic's for pd-150

I know the me-66 is very popular but I started in audio and I'm really not that impressed with it for the money. If you are willing to spend a little more and in the case of microphone that is easy to justify because they can be used, if properly cared for, for a good long time. Check out the Audio Technica AT4073a. I think probably the best 'short' shotgun on the market.
M. Raine Lillibridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

i just got an ME66 from zotz and i'll be using it this weekend at the dog show in scottsdale. i'll report back what i think. as far as price goes, $375 for a mic + power is nothing. really. a mic should last you for 20 years or so, that's like $10/year. =) anyway, i'm pretty excited to try it out.
Old March 1st, 2003, 02:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Erik,
What will you be using your mic for? I have been asking myself this same question regarding my GL2 for 6 months. And I am not sure a shot-gun mic (such as the ME66) is the best solution for the situations I (and maybe you, I don't know what type of shooting you do) shoot in. Take a look at this page http://www.shiningstarDV.com/mic.htm and in a shooting condition such as that would a shot gun mic do the job? Or would it only end up picking up person number two because it is directional. So my question for everyone, is: would a shotgun mic be right for a situation such as the above? I shoot as a one man crew 90% of the time so if my camera is moving (by hand, stabilizer, or tripod) then I need a camera mounted mic, so boom pole or mic stand is out. Wireless lav/handheld won't work because of the setup time. This is somewhat spontanoues shooting like covering a party or BBQ etc. Can some one help me? Thanks.
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 02:40 AM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Scott,
A directional, super cardiod (shotgun) mic such as the ME-66 is the only solution that meets your constraints.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 02:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the speedy reply Ken. I have one other question, why wouldn't a camera mounted ME64 (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...ries_mke_03282) work?

Thanks, you are always of great help.
Old March 1st, 2003, 11:26 AM   #12
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The ME-64 would "work". But it has a very wide sensitivity pattern, nearly 180 deg. The 66's pattern is narrower and may reduce side noise.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 11:31 AM   #13
Wrangler

It will and may do a better job than the 66 if only because it has better rear rejection. The wider front response pattern means that the two people on the sides of the center will sound more natural.

Also, you will probably find that the 64 will not be overloaded as easily as the 66 can be in areas where noise can spike due to band, laughter, etc.

However, you will have to get a bit closer I expect with the 64 for the same record level.

You are obviously interested enough to consider visiting the pro sound Usenet group and asking about the 64 vs the 66. Some of the alternate answers might surprise you. Those people can almost tell you when you should use different brands of gaffer tape in differnt sound applications.
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks guys.

Mike,
Where can I find the Pro Sound Usenet group? Thanks!
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:26 PM   #15
Wrangler

The Usenet group you want is:
rec.art.movies.productionsound

Usenet is an Internet service that has separate discussion groups on everything from apples to zombies.

Normally your email application will also have a News function. Once you find that at subscribe to the newsgroups in which you are interested, all you have to do is click on the group to get the latest series of messages.

There are groups on video, sound, and just about anything else you can imagine.

If you cannot find a newsreader and that group, email me off the forum and I'll try and help.

mike@byvideo.com

I should mention that once in a while I find myself visiting a mortar and bricks Pro sound shop to get advice (and buy a solution).

By pro, I DON'T mean Guitar Center although they have their place. I'm talking about one of the shops that cater to the serious sound recordist.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion