Interesting Observation - Sony PD Popularity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Interesting Observation - Sony PD Popularity

Everytime I log on here I look at the PD170 group to see how many people are in here and it almost never fails to be in the top three and very often has the highest number of all the groups. Pretty good considering the HDV competition. I guess it says a lot about these cameras.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #2
Trustee

i think the whole range of sony's dv cams upto and incl pd170 are simply outstanding (and that's coming from a 400sp beta rig). i am told the pics off the new hdv are outstanding in sd - i'll have to check that out personally - but either way, i think sd and pd's are going to be around for a while yet. i see no uptake, or even great interest in hd here in australia.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For such a simple SD camera, my PD170 images are outstanding.

I've noticed people like me with PD170s are in a cult all our own... Like Mac users or Linux users.

It just works.

Sure, I'll move to HD someday... when I win the lotto. ^_^
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have the VX2000 and the FX1. I prefer to shoot the VX2000 in many situation because of it size and ease of use. The desire to use 16:9 has sent me to FX1 more and more, but I still like the VX2000 feel and simplicity.

As a result, I have even been learning for about working with the VX2000 16:9 mode, and improving the output from that.
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've been using the PD150s (now down to 1) for about 5 years and also a DSR250 (a 150 on steroids) and frankly there isn't much I can't do with them and I've never had a problem with image quality. I tried a number of cameras before I got the 150s back when coming off of JVC X2s which produced an awesome image and a VX1000 which for its time was great-still got it,
My clients whether wedding or corporate have no problem with the quality of the 150s and in many case are absolutly amazed at the quality this little camera produces. I actually like it better than the JVC5000U I had especially for low light events.
I'll hang on to mine and the 250 until either I DO go HD OR I retire whichever comes first.
LONG LIVE THE 150/170/250! ;-)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Having a PD170P with Century Optics anamorphic lens, I agonised over an FX1/Z1, but probably only to produce SD 16:9 programs.

HDV was going to be a play-thing for the most part, but with price and assessing my market for the next 2-3 years I picked up another low-hours PD170P. In my non-broadcast arena (wedding/event and corporate DVD market) they serve me perfectly.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion