VX2100 mic jack -Mono/Stereo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #1
New Boot

VX2100 mic jack -Mono/Stereo?

I am purchasing an Azden FMX-32 mixer for use with my VX2100. Is the mini plug on the camera a stereo mini or Mono mini ? Also, I will be taping a lecture withe multile mic's. Would you recommend keeping the VX2100 audio on automatic?

Ezra
Ezra Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You audio jack is stereo, but the left and right recording levels can not be independently set in manual mode. I would recommend the automatic setting in this case as you have no way to be prevent (and can probably expect) the lecturers voice levels to vary.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Mike. I will probably keept he camera audio level on auto. I was considering manual because i notice the camera mic runs a little hot on auto level, but since I am using an audio mixer, maybe I will have some control over levels even though the camera is on auto.

Ezra
Ezra Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Why not balance your inputs at the mixing board, and then adjust your final recording level at the camera, using line input from the line out at the mixing board. Anyone have thoughts on that ?
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Wrangler

You do not have control over what the camera does to the audio if you leave it in Auto. Been there, done that. An outboard mixer doesn't help all that much if you leave the camera in Auto because the camera is going to try and force the levels where it believes they should be.

Set about a 2/5ths level in manual on the camera and then operate the mixer to set the final levels.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
You do not have control over what the camera does to the audio if you leave it in Auto. Been there, done that. An outboard mixer doesn't help all that much if you leave the camera in Auto because the camera is going to try and force the levels where it believes they should be.

Set about a 2/5ths level in manual on the camera and then operate the mixer to set the final levels.

I agree this is best approach.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion