vx2000 audio mixing problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 10th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #1
Inner Circle

vx2000 audio mixing problem

I can't seem to mix line and mic level audio. Is this a limatation of the camera or my lack of understanding to set it up right? I can't figure out how to get a both mic and line source to be audible without distortion.

I have a beachtek like preamp that accepts to xlr inputs and has 1/8" jack to plugs into the camera. What I want to do is at dance recitals, plug one into the sound board (line level) and the other into a mic for audience/ambient sound. The preamp has a line/mic switch for each source and the camera jack has line/mic switch, when this is set to line the line source is fine but the mic is silent, when it is set to mic the line source is to hot and noisy but the mic is fine.

btw, the microphone is a Audio-Technica AT822 with fresh batteries, the camera is set to manual gain (maxed).
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
I can't seem to mix line and mic level audio. Is this a limatation of the camera or my lack of understanding to set it up right? I can't figure out how to get a both mic and line source to be audible without distortion.

I have a beachtek like preamp that accepts to xlr inputs and has 1/8" jack to plugs into the camera. What I want to do is at dance recitals, plug one into the sound board (line level) and the other into a mic for audience/ambient sound. The preamp has a line/mic switch for each source and the camera jack has line/mic switch, when this is set to line the line source is fine but the mic is silent, when it is set to mic the line source is to hot and noisy but the mic is fine.

btw, the microphone is a Audio-Technica AT822 with fresh batteries, the camera is set to manual gain (maxed).
I'm not a sound guy, but I don't think you can mix imputs. I think you will have to mix on a sound board, and send to line out, in to VX2000 with line selected.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

thx It's designed to mix two sources. I must have something set wrong that i'm over looking.

edit: I think I know what i did wrong. I set the camera to line and tried to use the pre amp to increase the mic to its level, which it couldn't do. Next time I'll set the camera to mic, and ask the sound booth guy to lower the line to match the mic. I might get one of the inline Attenuates line devices incase they can't lower the line level enough.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; August 12th, 2006 at 09:03 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion