DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Where are the Sony PD 150 or the PD 170? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/74817-where-sony-pd-150-pd-170-a.html)

Charles Tucker September 4th, 2006 08:00 AM

Where are the Sony PD 150 or the PD 170?

I would like to know is videographer holding on to there Sony PD 150 and PD 170. I notice I do not see any for sale, what going on? I will be looking for a use one and I can not find any for sale. I am looking to get me a personal camera for myself and since I shoot with a Sony DSR 370 that is why I wanted one of these cameras.

I would love to hear what this board has to say.

Thanks
Charles

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2006 10:09 AM

Moved from Open DV Discussion to our PD170 forum.

Leslie Wand September 5th, 2006 01:01 AM

my 170 will go till it, or i drop out permanently ;-}

leslie

Craig Seeman September 5th, 2006 05:54 AM

In many markets Standard Def is still the delivery method for most clients.
The PD-150/170 is still the low light king.
I can imagine that sales are declining because I suspect most of those opting for SD 1/3" cameras are buying the Panasonic DVX 100B.
150/170 owners are waiting for the HD client demand to increase, HD delivery methods penatrates the market (HDTV, HD Disc Players, HD Disc Burners) to move into that market. Also many are not happy with HDV codec limitations that result in motion artifacts. For the Sony fans there's the issue that the FX/Z1 does not do 24p or progressive of any type.

Result is that many 150/170 owners are likely in a "holding" pattern.

My fantasy is that Sony comes out with a 1/3" XDCAM HD camera that can do 24p and even 60p.

Tom Hardwick September 9th, 2006 05:49 AM

Sony recent announcement should see the death of the VX/PD line. The FX7 and the V1-E have been introduced to wash those silly ''I'll buy a Panasonic'' thoughts from your head.

tom.

Richard Zlamany September 9th, 2006 09:55 AM

I doubt we will see the "death" anytime soon since the new cams mentioned will not be better in low light and will be more expensive.

I'll be buying a vx2100 within the next few months to backup the pd170 unless something changes my mind. I figure I have a good year or two of use with this setup.

Tom Hardwick September 9th, 2006 10:36 AM

Here in the UK the VX2100 has been unavailable for some time Richard, and the PD170 is only available to special order at the dealers. But then 16:9 is a prime requirement here - it may not be where you are.

tom.

Leslie Wand September 10th, 2006 03:43 AM

tom's right, her in oz 16:9 is a prime requirement from broadcasters, however, they'll still take anything newsworthy on vhs, mobile phone, etc., they'll also take regional material in 4:3 since they can't afford to send crews, or distribute cameras to the outback / rural locations. as for anything but tv, as long as it's sharp, that's all that matters. 16:9 is (at present) is a complete non-starter out here in the bush....

leslie

Richard Zlamany September 10th, 2006 12:39 PM

Nevertheless, an area requirement does not constitute the "death" considering there is a world out there. It is more like the beginning of the middle of a change.

I had a client book me for next year. They have a 16:9 set. I asked if they wanted that format. They said no.

The OP wanted to know if people with the pd & vx series would soon be selling their cams so he could purchase them. That too, shows not a "death".

I merely am responding that, no I am keeping mine, buying more, and that the series of cams are alive and well.

Hopefully, they come down more in price, since the new series are becoming more available.