Noisy VAP Steadyshot. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 12th, 2003, 03:14 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Noisy VAP Steadyshot.

If you don a pair of headphones and flip the VX2k into the record mode you can monitor what the in-built mics are picking up, right? Of course there'll always be a small amount of tape deck noise that inevitably finds its way onto the soundtrack, but have you noticed how noisy the Steadyshot is?

It's easy to hear it working. Open the menu up and toggle the Steadyshot on and off while you listen in a quiet room, hand holding the camera as steady as you can. Then put the VX down on a table or tripod it and hear how much quieter it becomes, and more importantly, how much quieter the sound track becomes when the Steadyshot stops working. Move the camera slightly and up comes the graunching noises.

I tried the same test with my Sennheisser MKE300 microphone fitted to the shoe and the Steadyshot noise becomes quite unacceptable. It's been a surprise to me as I've not heard (!) it mentioned before.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #2
Wrangler

I haven't tried your experiment but I have no doubt that it happens.

The MKE-300 is gnerally considered too hot for the Sony's because their audio circuits have a hard time limiting the amplitude.

Sennheiser makes a special version of the K6 amplifier (used with the ME-66) for Sony cameras like the VX2000/PD150 that attenuates the output level quite a bit. The 300 is hotter than the K6 by quite a bit IIRC.
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

To appreciate the complexity of the stabilizing gyros, the activating pistons and the vibrating bellows of the Sony Super Steadyshot (SSSS), do this.

With the SSSS menu up on the side screen and your finger on the little wheel to turn SSSS on and off, put your ear to the flat of the SSSS enclosure right at the front of the VX2k's lens. With SSSS on you'll quite easily hear the mechanism spring into action when you gently wiggle the camera, and you'll hear it die away as it waits for your next move.

What's interesting is that the operating gyro mechanism is constantly in operation even when you've got the SSSS turned off, and in this mode all you're doing is stopping the bellows from forming a prism; they remain as two pieces of parallel glass. Quite why Sony should do this is unclear as it obviously uses battery power and makes a tiny amount of noise, all to no
avail.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #4
Major Player

There are two reasons why the prism has to be locked actively in "zero"position:
Tolerences on the ruber structure do not garantee parallel glassplates, initially and even more when ageing occurs. This would introduce strong off-axis shooting.
Motion and earth's gravity forces would allow the fluid to shift/move.
Alhough there is some holding current involved, I don't think the system will generate noise when desactivated because there is no mechanical motion/correction in the actuators.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion