PD170, Tape chewing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PD170, Tape chewing...

Hi everyone,

I hope everyones doing fine, i've had a pd170 for about 2 years and recently i encounted my first real problem, which was when ever i rewinded my dv tape, the dv tape would get slightly chewed from one side. This happened before but has started again? The tape reel does not get jammed in the deck but its like its hitting something? and when the tape is played, i have loss of pixcels due to the damage

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Anyone faced a similar problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks,

Ismail
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The PD170 has an hours meter - have you had a check to see if it's time for a Sony service? If you look into the tape compartment, does it look all shiney bright and clean in there? Have you run a head cleaning tape recently? Have you been using the cam in dusty conditions or down by the sea side?

I'd do a tape path clean. This is quite different from a head clean and requires that you remove the door, use good strong light and foam tipped buds wet with isopropyl alcohol, as shown here:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery/v/tom...g_4_6.jpg.html

If this doesn't cure the tape crinkle problem it's most probably a feed and take-up platter tensioning problem. Sony's TRV900 suffered in the same way, so they know all about it and know how to fix it.

tom.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the insight, i really appreciate it, i will definetly try both options with a head cleaner and cleaning solution mentioned, also regarding servicing the camera, do you know how much run time it needs to have done before a service?
Old October 1st, 2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As with a car service it's impossible to say. You might run no-name tapes and shuttle them endlessly backwards and forwards. You might work in dusty or chemically nasty environments. You might be in a high humidity area. You might change tapes on the beach.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion