Color balancing PD170 with GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color balancing PD170 with GL2

I shoot some footage outdoors using the PD170 and GL2. I white balanced both cameras several times during the shoot. However the GL2 is much warmer than the PD170. Two questions, how do I warm up the picture before shooting with the PD170 and second does anyone know of a tutorial I could use to balance the two colors?

thanks
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Trying to get a Canon an a Sony to match is tough BUT with a little patience an some work in the Sony PD170 Custom Preset Menu you can get kind of close. Remember they will never be perfect-but perhaps close enough that in editing you will be able to get them to match even closer.
Custom Preset menu allows you to adjust levels saturation and white balance make sure to do all of this while on a production monitor or at least a well adjusted TV (2 are better 1 for each camera)
HTHs

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sonys and canons will never look similar right out of the shute. sonys tend to be much cooler in picture, while canons are the opposite - warm. you can make adjustments in post, but as don said, any adjustments you can make in the camera will make it easier in post.

good luck
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you both for your input. As we have 3 GLs and 1 PD170 I will have to get the PD170 synced closer to the canons. I will try to do as you suggested with the custom pre-sets and two monitors.
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion