DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX200 audio hiss, how to make it go away?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/7761-vx200-audio-hiss-how-make-go-away.html)

Marius Svendsen March 15th, 2003 07:51 PM

VX200 audio hiss, how to make it go away??

hey!

Im was just looking at the Canon EQ-GL1 Equalizer Windscreen, for Microphone on the GL-1 DV Camcorder . There is just one problem, I use a Sony VX2000.
Will this fit the Sony VX2000 camocorder mic? I need one for my cam to get that "hiss" the audio on the VX2000 intend to make sometimes.

Does anyone know if Sony have anything like this out to?
It just have to be small in size, because Im using a Century .3x fisheye which is very big so the equalizer cant be to big.

If anyone can help it would be great, or if anyone just have any advice for me to get the hiss noise go away, anything I can wrap around my mic?

Thanks!!

Frank Granovski March 15th, 2003 08:24 PM

Hiss from wind? Get one of those fluffy "jackets" that slide over the mic.

Built-in VX hiss? Keep the gain low. Best solution? Get the BBC audio fix.

Marius Svendsen March 16th, 2003 08:34 AM

Well, Im not sure if it's from the wind, that way I can only use the windscreen, but Iw ant to mellow down the Audio a bit, like the VX1000 got the most PERFECT audio, Canon Gl1/Gl2 stink at audio and the VX2000 is just after the VX1000. The audio on the vx2000 just seems a little sharper then on the vx1k, i wanne fix this....like i said, make it more "mellow" kinda.....

Harry Settle March 16th, 2003 10:31 AM

Keep an eye on your audio level. You don't want to be bouncing it near the max. I keep mine down about the -12 area with no problem, turn it up and I begin to hear the hiss. I get great sound without gadgets.

Bryan Beasleigh March 16th, 2003 02:07 PM

Using an ME66 and beach tek I always keep my gain below 50% and trim using the beach. No hiss, no problem

Marius Svendsen March 17th, 2003 11:07 AM

-00 30 20 12 0db
||||||||-------------

Ok, I have start using manual audio now and have set the Audio Level like i tried illustrate above, hope it makes sense. I made it pretty much alike the real thing and just how high my level is.

So now, I havent tried filming with this yet, but will I still pick up low sounds now?I just want to get the hiss gone.

Mike Rehmus March 17th, 2003 11:30 AM

You haven't mentioned what microphone you are using. I suspect the on-board microphone.

Besides the poor placement of the microphone with regard to the sound source in most cases, that microphone is not known to be really sensitive compared to a shotgun. So while you may have lowered the hiss, you may now not have enough gain to capture low-level sounds.

You must use headphones to check that your record levels are correct. The VU meters will not tell you enough unless you have a great deal of experience with the camera and the location.

Greg Brashear March 26th, 2003 04:44 PM

i never get any hiss recorded on tape. even at high gain levels.