DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Mini DVCAM tapes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/7913-mini-dvcam-tapes.html)

Ram Nagarajan March 21st, 2003 08:40 AM

Mini DVCAM tapes?

Hi all:
Good to be back on the list after a long time!
Finally got to use my new PD150 on shoot, and have some fun learning on it. *WOW!* Great cam!
So far, I've been shooting on Sony Pro series Mini DV tape in DVCAM mode. But a friend of mine mentioned in passing that I could use mini DVCAM tapes - except that I can't seem to locate any Mini DVCAM tapes anywhere at my local suppliers!
Do mini DVCAM tapes really exist? *LOL* If so, can anyone mention some tape stock identifiers so that I can ask Sony for the specific stock? (Also: How much does a mini DVCAM tape cost? Does it come with IC/without IC just like the MiniDv tape?)
Thanks all!
Ram

Mike Rehmus March 21st, 2003 11:03 AM

Tape Resources and other suppliers can sell you those $30 mini-DVCAM tapes if you wish. They appear to be a bit more rugged and made of better material.

But they won't give you a better image and for most purposes, are a waste of money unless you are shooting for a network or some other org that might pay attentiion to appearances.

They do come in chip/no-chip versions.

Ram Nagarajan March 22nd, 2003 07:47 AM

Mike, thanks:
Found somebody who's willing to supply mini DVCAM tapes, but they're forbiddingly expensive. I think the broad consensus is to simply use Sony Premium miniDV and shoot DVCAM, like you suggested - a lot of the work I'm doing right now is going to be for distribution on VCD/DVD/VHS, and so the image conscious network thing doesn't apply *LOL*!
Best,
Ram

Eivind Vaa April 2nd, 2003 11:30 AM

MINI

Yeah, I would go with the mini-DV. The only difference as far as I know is tape-speed and build quality.

Todd Moen April 10th, 2003 04:42 PM

Mini DV Tapes

I was wondering what you all think about TDK brand mini dv tapes? Would you use these as a quality tape when shooting in dv cam? I found these at Costco, an Eight pack for 27.99. These tapes are 60 minutes each.

Mike Rehmus April 10th, 2003 05:26 PM

I do not recommend switching tape suppliers. Furthermore, I think the company most likely to make the best tape for a camcorder is the manufacturer of the camcorder.

Tape is cheap. Heads aren't.

Sony mindDV tapes are $3.74 each in 5-packs from one of our sponsors, http://www.pro-tape.com/

Todd Moen April 10th, 2003 05:33 PM

Tapes

Thanks Mike,
I'll check them out!

Garret Ambrosio April 10th, 2003 08:07 PM

Now to add something kinda off topic...Is there a difference in the final result in the myriad different types or variants of mini DV, pro grade, etc. I know only 1's and 0's are being recorded, but is there a difference between the "good" stuff vs the cheap stuff? Except maybe for the chip, I don't see how it can make a difference, unless it is not unlike cheap CD-Rs whereas the CD-R media would fall apart after a few months?

Mike Rehmus April 10th, 2003 08:42 PM

Not for NLE applications there is not.

Jeff Donald April 10th, 2003 08:45 PM

Tape is one of the most discussed topics here. Use the search function and read what many, many members have to say on the subject. There really isn't any generic mini DV tape, but most people stick with either Sony, Panasonic or Fuji. A minority use TDK, Maxell and a variety of other lesser known tapes.

Garret Ambrosio April 11th, 2003 11:10 AM

Jeff, I guess what I'm referring to is the different variants of the same brand tape, i.e Sony "Excellence" vs "Premium". Are there any differences between these two types? I guess Mike has answered this question.

Ram Nagarajan April 12th, 2003 10:44 PM

Hi again all:
My tape supplier is offering me the PDVM 40 Sony MiniDVCAM tape for use with my PD150 (at about USD 24 per piece - ouch!). Question is: On DVCAM mode, the PD150 records about 2/3rds of miniDV tape time: 40 minutes on a 60 minute tape. But how much tape time do I get in DVCAM mode with a 40 minute miniDVCAM tape? Logic suggests that the mode/tape speed is a camera hardware function, and that I should therefore get about 26-28 minutes on this tape, but I'm not sure. Anyone?
Thanks and best,
Ram

Mike Rehmus April 13th, 2003 06:59 PM

DVCam tape is labeled with the expectation that it will be used in a DVCam machine. If used in a DV machine, it would give 60 minutes of recording.

Todd Moen April 14th, 2003 06:38 PM

So what Sony MINI DV tape would be the best to use in the PD150 recording in DVCAM?

Mike Rehmus April 14th, 2003 11:21 PM

The least expensive will work just fine.