Mini DVCAM tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mini DVCAM tapes?

Hi all:
Good to be back on the list after a long time!
Finally got to use my new PD150 on shoot, and have some fun learning on it. *WOW!* Great cam!
So far, I've been shooting on Sony Pro series Mini DV tape in DVCAM mode. But a friend of mine mentioned in passing that I could use mini DVCAM tapes - except that I can't seem to locate any Mini DVCAM tapes anywhere at my local suppliers!
Do mini DVCAM tapes really exist? *LOL* If so, can anyone mention some tape stock identifiers so that I can ask Sony for the specific stock? (Also: How much does a mini DVCAM tape cost? Does it come with IC/without IC just like the MiniDv tape?)
Thanks all!
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

Tape Resources and other suppliers can sell you those $30 mini-DVCAM tapes if you wish. They appear to be a bit more rugged and made of better material.

But they won't give you a better image and for most purposes, are a waste of money unless you are shooting for a network or some other org that might pay attentiion to appearances.

They do come in chip/no-chip versions.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 07:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mike, thanks:
Found somebody who's willing to supply mini DVCAM tapes, but they're forbiddingly expensive. I think the broad consensus is to simply use Sony Premium miniDV and shoot DVCAM, like you suggested - a lot of the work I'm doing right now is going to be for distribution on VCD/DVD/VHS, and so the image conscious network thing doesn't apply *LOL*!
Best,
Ram
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

MINI

Yeah, I would go with the mini-DV. The only difference as far as I know is tape-speed and build quality.
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mini DV Tapes

I was wondering what you all think about TDK brand mini dv tapes? Would you use these as a quality tape when shooting in dv cam? I found these at Costco, an Eight pack for 27.99. These tapes are 60 minutes each.
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #6
Wrangler

I do not recommend switching tape suppliers. Furthermore, I think the company most likely to make the best tape for a camcorder is the manufacturer of the camcorder.

Tape is cheap. Heads aren't.

Sony mindDV tapes are $3.74 each in 5-packs from one of our sponsors, http://www.pro-tape.com/
Old April 10th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Tapes

Thanks Mike,
I'll check them out!
Old April 10th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Now to add something kinda off topic...Is there a difference in the final result in the myriad different types or variants of mini DV, pro grade, etc. I know only 1's and 0's are being recorded, but is there a difference between the "good" stuff vs the cheap stuff? Except maybe for the chip, I don't see how it can make a difference, unless it is not unlike cheap CD-Rs whereas the CD-R media would fall apart after a few months?
Old April 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #9
Wrangler

Not for NLE applications there is not.
Old April 10th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #10
Warden

Tape is one of the most discussed topics here. Use the search function and read what many, many members have to say on the subject. There really isn't any generic mini DV tape, but most people stick with either Sony, Panasonic or Fuji. A minority use TDK, Maxell and a variety of other lesser known tapes.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Jeff, I guess what I'm referring to is the different variants of the same brand tape, i.e Sony "Excellence" vs "Premium". Are there any differences between these two types? I guess Mike has answered this question.
Old April 12th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi again all:
My tape supplier is offering me the PDVM 40 Sony MiniDVCAM tape for use with my PD150 (at about USD 24 per piece - ouch!). Question is: On DVCAM mode, the PD150 records about 2/3rds of miniDV tape time: 40 minutes on a 60 minute tape. But how much tape time do I get in DVCAM mode with a 40 minute miniDVCAM tape? Logic suggests that the mode/tape speed is a camera hardware function, and that I should therefore get about 26-28 minutes on this tape, but I'm not sure. Anyone?
Thanks and best,
Ram
Old April 13th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #13
Wrangler

DVCam tape is labeled with the expectation that it will be used in a DVCam machine. If used in a DV machine, it would give 60 minutes of recording.
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

So what Sony MINI DV tape would be the best to use in the PD150 recording in DVCAM?
Old April 14th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #15
Wrangler

The least expensive will work just fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion