DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 Mic jack question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8131-vx2000-mic-jack-question.html)

Garret Ambrosio March 28th, 2003 08:30 PM

VX2000 Mic jack question

Is the external mic jack on the VX2000 a mono female plug or is it a stereo (bipole) female plug? I heard nasty things and bad days can happen is you try to plug a mono mic into a stereo jack and vice versa.

Mike Rehmus March 28th, 2003 11:28 PM

It is stereo and I watched a fellow fail to get a Sennheiser MKE-300 (mono plug) to work on his 2000 just this evening at a film shoot in Fairfield.

Garret Ambrosio March 30th, 2003 10:59 PM

Mike Radio Shack has a 1/8" mono to 1/8" stereo jack, woudl this do the trick or will you get noise?

Mike Rehmus March 31st, 2003 12:55 PM

It should work. But because the adapter sticks out, it is going to stress the socket. I'd prefer to make up an adapter with a right-angle stereo plug and mono socket at the ends of a short cable and then wrap the adapter cable tightly to the VX2000 handle to minimize the strain.

Garret Ambrosio March 31st, 2003 06:47 PM

How about getting a XLR to Mini 1/8" Jack and plugging it directly into the camera? Would the signal be balanced or would I need an XLR box?

Mike Rehmus March 31st, 2003 07:05 PM

The signal is unbalanced and given the short length of the cable on a MKE-300, it is OK that way. You just connect the signal and shield from the microphone across the balanced inputs of the camera. Works well except in the presence of very strong EMI/RFI.

Joe Gioielli April 10th, 2003 07:40 PM

Going through the same problem

I was playing with the mic today. First I tried a regular el cheapo $50 radio shack mic which I had to attach as folled (I knew this would not work, I just had to try!) mic (+) xlr to 1/4 in mono female (+) 1/4 mono female to 1/4 mono female coupler (+) 1/4 mono male to 1/8 mono male (+) 1/8 mono female to 1/8 stereo male to camera. The results were about what you would expect. Yes I got decent volume but lots of hiss and nastyness.

Should a device such as the xlr adapter sold my beachtek of studio one get the job done with out all the cruddyness.

Also, if I wanted hissy audio on purpose, would my McGyver rig hurt the audio circuits in the vx, or just give me the bad sound I may want?(I like to shoot slap stick comedy skits in the "old movie" mode and the bad audio would be a nice touch.

As I had the old audio box out anyway, I took out the even cheaper Radio Shack electrolet condenser lav mic, ($25) the kind that has the little box with the hearing aid battery and the on off switch. Worked great. Nice stereo sound No hiss or anything. Then I remembered, STEREO IMPUT! STEREO IMPUT! Put on the mono to stereo adapter, worked great. Still, ofcourse, stereo.

I seek enlightment.

Mike Rehmus April 10th, 2003 08:48 PM

Never record less than the best audio and video you can. You can always degrade them in post.

I got lost on the tunnel of connectors approach you used. Cheap microphones can work surprisingly well if you connect them correctly. Connect XLR pin 2 to the ring and tip of a stereo miniplug and XLR pin 3 to the sleeve on the stereo miniplug. Should work well unless the microphone is bothered by the presence of +3VDC on the socket. Then a small capacitor is series with one of the two XLR pins will solve the problem.

You really don't need an XLR adapter box unless you need to run cables any distance.

Garret Ambrosio April 11th, 2003 11:57 AM

Wow Mike, you are quite the electrician...now if I can get a diagram of which is Tip and which is Ring on the 1/8" TRS plug I think I can make one of these with confidence.

Mike Rehmus April 13th, 2003 07:10 PM

Tip, Ring, and Sleeve are easy to ID from the inside of the plug. An Ohmmeter really helps but you can tell easily. The rear-most solder tab is connected in the center of the insulator and is the tip. The ring is the next connection and the sleeve is always the outside connector.

If you buy your connectors from ZakKit, they will show you which ones.

Bryan Beasleigh April 13th, 2003 10:16 PM

Ya gotta have the eyes of an eagle and a third hand (vise)helps a herd. And stay away from the single malt.
Seriously though, I gave up trying to make my own as I couldn't find any decent 1/8 stereo molded 90 degree plugs . Beware of the radio shack 1/8 stereo. they are heavy and the tolerance is always what it should be.

The Hosatech's are cheap and the filter capacitor can still be added after the fact.It actually works out cheaper than buying the components. All you have to do is unscrew the XLR rear cap and solder the capacitor in place.

http://www.hosatech.com/audio_cables_index_3.html

A one foot cable is $9.50 at B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___158476___HOSMMRAXF1___REG___CatID=0___SID= F4C18880000