CCD Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 31st, 2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Major Player

CCD Question

I have a VX9000 which is the Prosumer version of the DSR-200a or the big brother of the VX1000, same imaging device. I noticed that while looking at the viewfinder I see a smal dot that is just white without anything on it. It is most prominent when looking at a dark object or if it is dar for instance, turning on the ND filter indoors. I have a feeling that it is a burnt CCD, but the confusing thing is that it would show up while playing back a blank tape as well. Why would a burnt CCD show up during playback. If this is a burnt CCD is there anything I can do to either fix it or prevent it from spreading?
Old March 31st, 2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Warden

If you are watching the image on the LCD screen, and seeing a spot, most likely the LCD screen has a dead pixel. An easy check is to playback a tape and watch the image on a TV screen. If the CCD has a dead pixel, it should be present on the TV screen. If you only see the spot on the LCD screen, then your screen has a dead pixel.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 02:29 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I know that the VX9000 has a monochrome viewfinder but is it an LCD or a CRT viewfinder?

This is the first I've seen this camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I actually get the same even when I played it back on my TV. It doesn't make sense, becaus ewhen I play my Vx2000 back it is clean and free of this. The most baffling thing is that it plays it back on a empty tape during VTR mode.

Ken, it is an LCD just like the DSR-200a. It uses a mirror to reflect the image from a small B&W LCD to a magnifier. I believe this camera never made its way to the US, atleast according to Sony.com. But it is identical in almost everyway to the VX1000 with the exception that this uses full-sized Standard DV.
Old March 31st, 2003, 03:41 PM   #5

Garret,
I'm inclined to agree with Jeff that it's merely a dead pixel in the viewfinder. But now you have me very confused.

Which of these applies to you?

a. As I shoot footage I can see the white spot in the viewfinder.

b. When I play the tape back onto a television the white spot appears on the television screen.

c. When I play the tape back through the viewfinder I see the white spot.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old March 31st, 2003, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Ken,

All three plus when I shoot footage I get whitespot in the VF and TV.
Old March 31st, 2003, 04:03 PM   #7

Aha. It's likely a dead pixel (or two) on the CCD, as you originally surmised. Nothing else to do except send it to Sony service for repair. This is not something you can fix.

Sorry for your misfortune, Garret.

Old March 31st, 2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Can would a dead CCD Pixel show up even on playback of a blank tape? This is what is puzzling to me, if the CCD has a bad pixel, then why would it show up during playback while playing a blank tape. Shouldn't this only affect shooting and ofcourse playingback what you shot?
Old March 31st, 2003, 04:33 PM   #9

That is a puzzle. Even so, however, the path is through Sony service. There's clearly something awry.

Old March 31st, 2003, 05:32 PM   #10
Wrangler

If it came from the Professional division at sony, then start at:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/info/support.html
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:37 PM   #11
Major Player

I have a small theory and Ken, Jeff and Mike maybe you guys can see how valid it is. I bought this camera from someone as the second owner. He included tapes with the deal, I have not bought new tapes yet. How does this scenario sound:

What if a CCD pixel did burn out and the guy who had the camera before me did that one procedure that you are suppose to do with blank tapes to get the indexing and timecoding straight on it, the term slips my mind. And while he was filming with the lens cap on the burnt CCD is obviously would be there. If this sounds right then that probably explains why during playback of a blank tape I get the burnt pixels. I will pickup a true blank full-size tape to test my theory. Mike you know a place close to town that sells full sized DV or DVCAM? BTW, the white spot do not show up during full telephoto.
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:17 PM   #12
Wrangler

If you have a bad pixel in your CCD block you can tell that by simply connecting the camera to a television and putting the lens cap on.

since the camera has manual controls, run the gain all the way up or leave it on auto and it should run up on its own with the lens hood on.

If you have a bright pixel on the tv, then you have a CCD problem. If you only have a bright pixel in the viewfinder, then you have a viewfinder problem.

You don't need a tape to diagnose the problem.

The closest place to purchase full-sized tapes that I know of is in Sacramento or Fremont.

I always buy from Tape Resources . . . www.taperesources.com

Good price, good service.
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:48 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks, Mike, I'll check them out. I think you would know, what was that process called. The process in which you take new blank tapes and run them with the lens cap on. Last question would be why do they do this and is it absolutely necessary?
Old April 1st, 2003, 09:22 AM   #14
Wrangler

It is called 'Blacking' and was/is necessary for people who use linear editing systems in Insert Mode. One records Black Burst on the tape to give it a black background and primarily to record a control track on the tape.

In reality, unless one wants to check the integrity of a tape by first recording on it and then reviewing the tape, there is no need do do this. I have recorded color bars on tape that I wanted to use on very critical shots so I could review the tape for any possible problems.
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:48 AM   #15
Major Player

Can you use Memory Mix to record SMPTE bars for calibration on the VX2000?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion