DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 / PD150 Companion site updated (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8382-vx2000-pd150-companion-site-updated.html)

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2003 06:34 PM

VX2000 / PD150 Companion site updated

The ultimate PD150 rig?

http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/images/images2.php

Enjoy,

Don Bloom April 4th, 2003 06:44 PM

Hey Chris,
AWESOME!!! And the camera gear isn't bad either:)

Garret Ambrosio April 4th, 2003 07:28 PM

Chris now, you wait you will see this item on eBay for sale. :) But seriously, would this work with the VX2000?

Mike Rehmus April 4th, 2003 09:15 PM

That rig should scare small children and run vagrant dogs right out of the tent.

I think it would look more at home on top of a SteadyCam or a studio pedestal.

Don Bloom April 4th, 2003 09:21 PM

Yeah, I guess I'm a snob :) If someone was set up to use that gear, would they be using a 150. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY 150's, I even like my 1000, hell I still like my wife after 35 years, but I just have to think that someone who has the bucks to invest in that kind of gear has the cash or can get it to get a 3 or 5 series or ????
Just MHO!

Garret Ambrosio April 4th, 2003 09:43 PM

LOL, I didn't think of it that way. Spend $$$ on a setup but $ on the camera itself. It was so obvious it eluded me.

Don Bloom April 5th, 2003 07:15 AM

Perhaps, but I guess I'm just thinking of my own situation. Would a setup like that help me shoot a wedding better than I do now? Maybe there are some shots that I could do better with it, maybe some I could do period, that I can't do now. Would it make a substanial difference in my end work? No I don't think so, at least not enough to invest in it. I would rather take the $ needed for that gear and get a 300 series Sony OR a Panansonic 200 or whatever. I just think that it would be better for me. As for the corporate stuff I do, again, I personally don't see a need for that type of gear, but...if I had the extra $ sitting around I suppose I could consider getting a rig like that.
Just my $.03 worth (inflation you know :)

Mike Rehmus April 5th, 2003 01:05 PM

For weddings, I think the 150 is superior to the 300 (I have both) except where you might want to get really creative with the lens or you NEED to use the skin tone system to soften a Bride's face.

The two reasons I have for selecting the 150 are size and low-light performance.

That said, if one gets really picky about image quality, the 300 is better. But only in the image details and, perhaps, ultimate image color quality. Maybe. For most customers with their mis-adjusted television sets, it will never be apparent.

When one has to run and gun, the 150 has it all over the 300 for those of us who don't shoot hours per day every day.

One can buy 3 PD150's for the price of one DSR-370 with lens and batteries and charger. And the 300 requires more expensive tripod, filters, etc. Not to mention the Chiopractor bills at the end of a long day.

The real problem, as I see it, with owning the high end equipment when it isn't necessary is that it forces us to charge higher prices for our work. Assuming we want to have a profitable business.

I can take as much $ home from an event as another guy who has to charge twice my fees to make the payments on his high-end video equipment. One new BetaSP VCR = a PD150 with accessories and the editing system.

When do I use the DSR-300 regardless of the application (usually)? When I need to impress someone with my camera rig.

So, in two weeks, I'm going to lead a camera team to cover the Jimmy Doolittle Raider's Reunion. I'll use the 300 and ask a 3rd team member to use the 150. This is because otherwise we'll look sort of underequipped as compared to Ken Burns, National Geographic, and the Army Video Team in the eyes of the Air Force Museum staff who know nothing about video acquisition.

BTW, I purchased the 300, the batteries and lens second-hand. Still cost me the equvalent of 2X PD150's but my commercial customers like to see it. It replaced a EVW-300 Hi-8 camera that they liked too. Call these bigger cameras good camouflage.

Don Bloom April 5th, 2003 01:34 PM

Mike,
I agree. I wasn't saying otherwise. I love my 150's for weddings, never had a meltdown at all, all I'm saying is that I can't see a need for spending that kind of loot for the gear that we saw for a 150 to shoot weddings, kinda ruins the idea of using a 150 in the 1st place. I could see it for a person doing Doc's or indies but if they can afford that gear they should be able to afford a 300 or 370 or 500 et al. No, I say for weddings give me my 150's or give me a backache (I get that anyway)
Maybe I just look at things cockeyed ;) OR maybe I'm just a contrarian on most things!
Back to drag,drop,click,cut :)

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2003 03:45 AM

Mike, as someone who read "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" many times, I would love to see that video!

Mike Rehmus April 6th, 2003 12:08 PM

I will be anxious to see it too. I expect that the video will be offered for sale by the museum. But I don't know.

I'm one of 4 teams that are centered around the Cinema classes at the local community college. Since I've gone through their program and then managed the physical infrastructure of the Cinema and TV production programs at the school, I've been invited to be the Senior Camera Group leader. Not certain if that is ackowledgment of my skills or age.

Because this is a very big undertaking, an instructor and a honor's student are taking on the job of production supers, a good thing since I'm way too busy right now to coordinate it.

I'm told that we will be given copies of all motion picture footage, stills, and other resources owned by the government that are related to the raid for use in the video. I'm hoping that the Doolittle Museum will be pleased with the outcome and that it actually turns into something worthwhile in my lifetime.

Don't know what ultimate role I will play in the finished product other than supplying footage. But it is a great chance to meet the flyers and listen to their stories.

One of the people who will be there is the guy who shot the 16mm footage of the raid and some of the more famous shots of the planes taking off. I hope he will talk some about the technical problems he had during the action.

It is great to meet the famous guys from WWII. I was able to meet Pappy Boyington at one of the Reno Air Races and get his autograph on his book. He wanted us to show our drivers licenses so he wouldn't misspell our names. I gave him my pilot's license which got me a very nice note in the book and a little extra time with him.

But all of these guys are great to talk with. I am a Docent at the WWII submarine, Pompanito, located at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. It is always great to talk with the WWII submariner's (on both sides of the war) and compare notes with them.

BTW, want to hear first-hand stories from veterans and get a tape you make archived in the Library of Congress? Go to their Web site, http://www.loc.gov/folklife/vets/ and read all about it. It is fun, actually, to set up a camera and let these folks talk away.

If you do it, don't forget the women. The most fastinating war stories I ever heard were from an 80 year old woman on the train travelling from London to York. She had been a ferry pilot for fighters and bombers during the war. That was the fastest train trip I ever had. Stupid of me that I didn't run my camera.

Mike Rehmus April 6th, 2003 04:14 PM

Here's the reunion Web site for you who may be interested:

http://www.jimmydoolittlereunion.com/index.htm

BTW, if there is anyone who is interested in participating in this, there probably is room for you on a team or even to make up a 5th team.

We'd need to know very rapidly as the first organizational meeting takes place tomorrow, Monday, April 8th at 4 pm at the college.

email or call me if you need more information.

Mike Rehmus
mike@byvideo.com
707 643-1970