DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Video Problem with VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/87653-video-problem-vx2000.html)

Michele Grant February 27th, 2007 12:26 AM

Video Problem with VX2000

We finally got everything together that we needed for the VX2000. My son took it today to shoot some skateboard stuff. He said it appeared to be recording fine, but on playback (on camera or via computer) it shows thick pixel lines running through. Also the sound is very choppy. I'd post it to show you, but it is giving fits even trying to get it saved into Vegas or Movie Maker let alone getting a still from it.

Any help would be appreciated--been up for a few hours trying to figure this out. We have tried a fresh tape and the same thing happens, however, if you record straight to the computer from the camera it is clear as can be.

Dirty heads maybe?

Bryan Wilkat February 27th, 2007 02:05 AM

if you could maaaybe even get a "print screen" image of the footage being captured, that would help us determine what the problem could be. but i'm willing to bet that you're right about the dirty heads...it was a used cam, wasn't it?

Michele Grant February 27th, 2007 09:14 AM

Yes the camera is used. Here is the best I could do for getting a picture for what is going on when trying to view recorded info from either the camera or the computer.

C:\Documents and Settings\mgrant\My Documents\Doc1.htm

If that link doesn't work, please let me know and I can send it to you directly.

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2007 10:39 AM

What you have posted, is the path to a file on your local hard drive. If you want others to be able to see it, you need to upload to some space on the internet, and then provide the URL.

Michele Grant February 27th, 2007 10:59 AM

I had to do a print screen so it is save in Word--- I can e-mail it to you? Or if you know another way.

I think this might have gotten it: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/mlgrant7...804253250172/0

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2007 12:57 PM

Try using a head cleaning tape.

Bob Hart February 27th, 2007 04:25 PM

Dirty or word heads sounds about right as a cause of your problem.

This is not necessarily an issue of an owner dumping the camera onto another buyer when troubles become apparent. A camera after a long period of little or no use, in itself a motive for selling, can develop such a fault shortly after being brought back into service

There is another issue which might aggravate a worn head condition wich might otherwise not be apparent. That is mixing of different brnds of recording tape.

Some people discount it as an urban myth however there has been convincingly reported here and on several other forums, that mixed use of
Sony and other tape brands on any brand of camcorder will create problems of buildup on recording heads.

Try using a cleaning tape in the camera and see if that helps. Otherwise, I regret to say, the serviceman is needed.

If it possible for you to do so, find out from the vendor or the previous owner, what brand of tape was in use in the camera and then use none other than that brand of tape.

If it was Sony, then you need to stick with Sony only. If it was another brand, then there is a little more permissabilty of use across some brands.

The stated reason is that Sony tapes apparently have what is described as a wet lubricant incorporated on the coating on the tape. Other brands use a dry lubricant. Each is a perfectly valid method.

According to a DP I recently spoke to, the Sony wet formulation was devised as the best companion to the materials chosen to build the Sony heads which apparently are softer than used by other manufacturers.

His advice to me was to go furthur than not mixing brands and to use Sony tapes exclusively on Sony products.

Buildup of debris on heads and the tape path is a normal event and little problem in the course of normal use and maintenance.

However, wet and dry lubricant debris apparently combines into a residue which is less likely to wear away from the the heads themselves and is difficult to remove with cleaning tapes. The more worn the camera heads are, the less tolerant of any buildup they may become.

Michele Grant March 1st, 2007 12:40 AM

Took to camera repair place and it is now on its way to Sony--guy there said he thought the heads would need to be replaced. Said the turnaround from Sony is about 6-8 weeks.