What is the quality difference between miniDV and DVCam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 6th, 2002, 06:51 AM   #1
bestpages

What is the quality difference between miniDV and DVCam

Can anyone tell me shortly if a differnce can be seen between a footage made in DV and DVCam?

I use already a DV Camera but I have to look for another one. The spec of the PD100 would fit my requirements and is cheaper than the VX2000.
Are there big differences between the VX2000 and the PD100 except from the recording format.
Old February 6th, 2002, 04:21 PM   #2
globalvillage

I don't have much experience with the DVCam format, nor do I know the specific technical specifications of each, but I can tell you that miniDV, DVCam and DVC Pro all use 4:1:1 processing, with a data rate of 25Mbytes per second. What that means, essentially, is that the only difference you'll see depends on the camera you use. Variables such as the number and size of the imaging chips, the quality of the lens, and signal processing are all going to affect the quality of the picture. Simply put, a $10,000 "pro" camera is going to look better than a $500 palmcorder. You get what you pay for (to a certain extent). I hope this helps.

Bill S.
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:53 AM   #3
bestpages

Thanks Bill,

The DVCam records the video signal with a faster speed than the DVmini. But as you said they all process with the same rate.

I ordered a PD100 now as Sony Europe had some B-ware of it and the price had been cut off by 50% . Which comes cheaper now than the VX2000.
Klaus
Old March 10th, 2002, 03:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Quickly, the difference is DV has a track pitch of 10 micron, DVCAM is 15 micron and DVCPro is 18 micron. DV has unlocked audio, DVCAM has locked audio and DVCPro has an analog audio reference track. What this means is that only DVCAM will sync the audio exactly to every frame in the video while DV (and mini DV) will allow the audio to slip out of sync, especially on long takes. The plus side is that the slip is not that bad (usually only a few frames per min).
DVCAM and DVCPro write SMPTE time code not DVTC (consumer). And although you can use DV tape to record DVCAM, the DVCAM tape is made with MUCH higher tolerances and quality materials and has the optional micro chip for added features and labeling.
The actual quality difference is still limited to 500 lines in any format but the DVCAM (and DVCPro) formats are built for professional use (and abuse).
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:55 AM   #5

DVCAM, because of the better pitch and speed, supposedly has fewer dropouts than DV. I haven't experienced any dropouts with DV, so this statement is superfluous, IMHO.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion