Separating the sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 19th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Separating the sound

I just ran a sound test on my VX, with a wireless, and a shotgun going through my XLR-pro adapter. I am recording the tv set with the shotgun, and have the wireless in another room listening to the stereo.

The problem I'm having is getting a clean separation of sound. With the XLR set on either stereo or mono, when I capture to Vegas, I am unable to get clear separation on the two channels. When panning left to right, I continue to get bleed over from the other channel.

What am I overlooking. I "assumed" that I would be able to have two clear cut channels.
Old April 19th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Figured it out.

It wasn't the camera or sound equipment. The bleedover was a physical condition where I was recording. I had the headset on, and didn't realize that I could actually hear both sound sources so well, in one room.
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Harry- I may be wrong, but aren't shotgun mics mono?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, they are mono. But I think Harry just got a 101 lesson in the sensitivity of microphones.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Absolutely, Ken, I didn't realize that the shotgun was picking up so much from the other room even though the door was shut. Shotgun + stereo/mono adapter. The Azden SG-X has a stereo plug on the end for the VX-2000.
Old April 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #6

Harry,
Many of us have learned the same lessson, often not as harmlessly as you have. Professional, and near-professional microphones, are extremely sensitive within their fields. My 101 lesson came while using my Sennheiser ME-66 shotgun for the first time. The person booming a shot with it for me had no sound experience. But I figured, how hard can it be? Give him a pair of headphones and have him point it at the talent, right? Well, wrong. He was pointing it horizontally and picked up all of the traffic sounds from a street 100 feet behind the talent, too. Hence, I learned to treat a shotgun mic like a real shotgun; take note of what else it would "hit" behind the target.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #7
Wrangler

And shotguns are directional only at medium and higher frequencies. Low frequencies make them act like unidriectional microphones.
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #8

Ahh, good point Mike! Hence the handy-ness of the low-pass filters found on some mics.

Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,

The low pass filter is usually aimed at reducing the handling noise generated by the Mic being attached to something that being moved and thus creating vibrations. (i.e a camera or even a mic stand)

These filters should ususlly be set to on, even if you the mic is attached to a Mic stand, as vibrations will be picked up through the stand.

Only safe to switch off if the mic is being suspended on an anti vibration 'spider web' mic holder.

Regards
P
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM   #10

Indeed. And they're also helpful at reducing wind rumble and some motor sounds, such as a nearby idling truck or bus.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion