DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   soon to be VX-2100 Owner, firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/87916-soon-vx-2100-owner-firewire.html)

Nick Boxler March 1st, 2007 09:42 PM

soon to be VX-2100 Owner, firewire?

i'm going to buy a vx-2100, and i need to know if my computer will be able to handle it, haha.
do they only use the firewire? or can you use USB as well?
i'm just making sure, before i spend all that moneys, aha.
thanks!

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2007 10:18 PM

You use firewire to transfer DV to your computer.

Nick Boxler March 2nd, 2007 05:46 PM

but you can't use USB?
i've heard that you CAN use it, but it's not the best.

J. Stephen McDonald March 2nd, 2007 11:29 PM

They Left Off the USB!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Boxler (Post 634939)
but you can't use USB?

The main problem you encounter, when trying to use USB with the VX2100, is that it doesn't have a USB port. You can also transfer video to a computer using S-Video or composite video, if you have an analog capture card.

Chris Barcellos March 2nd, 2007 11:47 PM

Perhaps the confusion arises over the inclusion of a USB card reader with the camera. If I recall right, one was included with my VX2000. That reader gives is for transfer of the still photo chip to the computer. Firewire is the only way to transfer the digital 1's and 0's recorded on the tape without loss of resolution.

J. Stephen McDonald March 3rd, 2007 08:02 AM

No USB Card-reader with VX2100

There was some disappointment when we opened our VX2100 boxes, as we had expected to get the same USB card-reader that was included with the VX2000. However, they aren't expensive and can be purchased at many video stores and online. http://www.bhphotovideo.com is a good place to find just the one you want. Some of them are designed to plug directly into a USB 2.0 High-speed computer port. They will work with USB 1.0 and 1.1 ports, but would be much slower. Of course, they're only for uploading the J-PEG still pictures captured in the camcorder, as well as M-PEG movies you can shoot on many other camcorder models (but not this one). The largest-capacity Memory-Stick you can use with the VX2100 holds 128MB and is the older, full-sized type. These older cards are slow-loading so you have to be patient. There is a mention in the manual about some Duo-sized Memory-Sticks being compatible, but they would be an older type with no more than the 128MB capacity and I doubt you could readily find any Duo cards of that size and type for sale. Good luck and have fun with your new VX2100.

Robert M Wright March 3rd, 2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Boxler (Post 634939)
but you can't use USB?

I don't know of any camcorder that can transfer DV recorded to tape, via USB (they all use firewire for that). Many camcorders allow you to transfer stills or MPEG video (much lower quality than the DV you shoot to tape) that were recorded to a memory stick, via USB.

Bob Thieda March 3rd, 2007 10:03 AM

Nick,
Does you computer not have a firewire port?
If it doesn't, you can get a firewire card cheap...less than $20 and they usually come with a firewire cable.

Its the only way to go...

Bob T.

Nick Boxler March 3rd, 2007 09:36 PM

hmmmm, ok, well i guess i'll have to save up for a firewire card, as well.
thanks guys!
a 4-pin is what i need, right?
unless someone out there wants to donate their Mac to me. eh?? eh??? haha

by the way, i have a usb card reader, but i just need the video on my computer, but thanks for all your helps!

Marco Wagner March 15th, 2007 06:21 PM

I'll look through my boxes tonight and see if I still have some extra firewire cards.

Alex Amira March 16th, 2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 635203)
I don't know of any camcorder that can transfer DV recorded to tape, via USB (they all use firewire for that). Many camcorders allow you to transfer stills or MPEG video (much lower quality than the DV you shoot to tape) that were recorded to a memory stick, via USB.

My Panasonic Gs300 can transfer movies via USB. I think this is one of the very few that can and it is a very rare feature. Also due to the way the DV standard is setup if you use most full fledged NLEs (I use Vegas) you won't get any sound via USB. MSFT Movie Maker and the software from Panasonic can get video and sound across USB (go figure).

As far as quality there is no difference. Assuming you are capturing video from a DV tape and not a stick. USB and firewire will be the same (make sure you set the highest capture setting in your NLE...DV-AVI). I've captured test footage via USB and firewire and could not tell any difference.

With USB you cannot print to tape so that kind of kills it....

I will say that the GS300 comes very handy and I can hook it up to any PC in a pinch and capture my VX2000 tapes.

Chris Barcellos March 16th, 2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Amira (Post 642932)
My Panasonic Gs300 can transfer movies via USB. I think this is one of the very few that can and it is a very rare feature. Also due to the way the DV standard is setup if you use most full fledged NLEs (I use Vegas) you won't get any sound via USB. MSFT Movie Maker and the software from Panasonic can get video and sound across USB (go figure).

IF you are not getting sound, then I would think you are not capturing the DV stream. Rather if you are going by USB, it must be some sort of analogue capture, wouldn't you think. What type of file is the captured file ?

Eric Stemen March 16th, 2007 10:14 PM

If you can afford a vx-2100 you should be able to afford a firewire card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815124032

about $11 after shipping.

Fire Wire Cable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189111

Tom Tomkowiak March 17th, 2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Boxler (Post 635476)
.....a 4-pin is what i need, right?

As far as I know, which may not be very far at all, any firewire card or built-in firewire has a 6-pin connection. The camera firewire connection is a 4-pin. So, the firewire cable that lets the camcorder and computer talk to each other is a 4/6.

Also, regarding firewire and USB, my understanding is that, as already mentioned, firewire streams the DV, while USB sends the signal in packets. Even if the camcorder can output DV thru USB, not many video programs handle it very well, if at all. I know final cut pro and probably iMovie on a Mac doesn't.

Alex Amira March 17th, 2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 643086)
IF you are not getting sound, then I would think you are not capturing the DV stream. Rather if you are going by USB, it must be some sort of analogue capture, wouldn't you think. What type of file is the captured file ?

It is capturing in DV AVI. You can get sound if you capture via the Panasonic software or Microsoft Movie Maker.

Via USB it captures DV AVI uncompressed (just like via firewire).

The files are the same size, same quality, same 0s and 1s when comparing Firewire and USB capture.

What I said was that other NLEs choose to implement the Dv stream without sound if capturing via USB. The cheap Panasonic software allows you to get sound and video via USB, as does Movie Maker when I use my GS300. Yet Vegas does not.

The GS300 has saved a lot of people a lot headaches. I won't mention any names since some people are on this board. I've loaned the GS300 to shall we say certain people who had client(s) who wanted onsite editing with their own PCs. The PCs did not have firewire and due to the time constraints (2AM finished shooting and the project had to be done by 8AM) they could not just run out to Best Buy and get a firewire card. It is a long but funny story :)