Pelican Case for PD150- what size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:24 AM   #1
Tourist

Pelican Case for PD150- what size?

What size Pelican case is recommended for the PD150?

I am considering the 1550 but want to check with others who may have experience and advice.

Is this one too small for the camera and accessories?
Too big/heavy?

Or do I really need the one with wheels?

Thanks for the help.
RH
Robyn Haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

I've got a 1550 that I bought for my 150 on the advice of B&H. It appears to be large enough but I've never used it for the camera as the Sony soft-side case is adequate for my needs.

You might want to also look at the Sony hard case which I've only seen at arms-length. Seems very nice although I don't think it is water-proof like the Pelican.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Let me add one to the mix. I've been using a Thermodyne Shok-Stop case for my 150. I keep camera w/ battery, 2 extra batteries, filters, WA lens attachment, shotgun mic (not the stock one) wireless receiver and tranmitter, 2 XLR cables, 8 tapes and a partridge in a pear tree in the case. Everything I need is in one place and very well protected. (I'm kidding about the tree) About 200 at saferseas.
One of my better investments in a case.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:40 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the Pelican 1600 with my PD150, which I lay on its side in the area I "plucked out" for it. Disconnect the on camera mic before you close the lid. I have all the usual goodies, wide lens with lens shade, additional batteries, ac adapter, spare tapes, headset, extra mic, Flarebuster, etc. I store a Kodak gray card plus behind the foam in the lid. The case is built like a tank, but will not fit in the airline carry on template, so it goes in storage with the luggage, which is fine with me. I use a sturdy lock for the case. The case is strong enough to stand on, which can come in handy.

I believe I paid around $150 for the 1600, and am very satisfied with it. But there is definitely a case to be made for the version with the wheels.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Wrangler

Wayne,

One can no longer lock luggage destined for the hold. They break the lock or the luggage or so I've been told.

I was specifically told by the Airlines not to lock any hold luggage. A number of people have reported pilfering from their hold luggage.
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I looked at the 1520 today and it looked plenty big for the 150 and accesories. I'm wondering though if it is deep enough to place the 150 in with the me66 mounted?
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #7
Major Player

What about a good case that WILL fit in the airline overhead? I've seen the way luggage is thrown around, and I wouldn't want my camera knocked about like that.

Also, do you air travelers "check" your lighting kits along with your luggage? Any problems? Broken bulbs? Do you carry the bulbs with you?

Any other air travel/equipment related stories/tips?

Thanks

Bob B
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, its a tough time. The last time I flew with my PD150, back in November, I was allowed to lock my Pelican case after an employee checked the contents. No problem. And the Pelican case can keep the camera safe from clumsy handlers. That's what I bought it for; rough handling.

But last Summer, I rented a digiBetacam and elected to carry it on-board in a soft case. From the West Coast to the East Coast, no problem. Stored it in the overhead bin. Carefully.

But on the return trip, the same airline refused to allow me to carry the camera on-board, since it would not fit in that little sizer thingy. A very nasty shouting argument ensued, and I finally said, "OK, take it. You can explain to your supervisors why you are being sued by the owner." A very empty threat, but I was tired and cranky. Anyway, I had no sooner sat down in the plane, when a steward showed up with the camera in tow, and asked if it would be alright if he stowed it in the first class area? Of course.

But I would never bother with attempting to add a light kit to the carry-on. Do pull the bulbs, and wrap them safely. And be sure to have an extra bulb or two. Stuff happens.

If the airlines would not let me lock my Pelican case, I would remove the camera and one small battery to go on board, and let the rest go in the hold. Take normal precautions, but don't become paranoid. You also want to enjoy yourself.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #9
Wrangler

One of the reasons I like the Sony soft case is it fits within the size envelope for cabin luggage. I can and do carry enough in it to get me through a weekend shoot without needing anything from my checked luggage. Ok, I'd have to buy a tripod if they lost that.

I have to take my DSR-300 apart but it will also stow as cabin luggage although I've had them accept the 2" too long Portabrace case a time or two.
Old April 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #10
Trustee

The Porta Brace CSDV3 can be carried on with no problem. I pack anything that's not fragile in checked baggage. If you're reasonable with them they'll more than likely be reasonable with you. The other beneifit is the porta Brace looks like a very nice carry on and not a camera bag.

http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CS
Bruce Johnson over at DV.com uses a golf hardshell for his tripod and lighting gear. He glued some carpet foam padding into it and packs tightly with extra padding when necessary.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Great idea about the golfbag hardshell for tripod. Any other ideas for "cases" to pack tripods in?

Bob B
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #12
Major Player

Look into cases made by "Doskocil." They are essentially the same thing as Pelican cases, but sell for considerably less. B&H Photo has them.

John
John Cline is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion