Pro VS consumer and Broadcast quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 03:57 PM   #1
Tourist

Pro VS consumer and Broadcast quality

Ok, I am a know nothing. I used to shoot video years ago and am getting back into it. I have a year long Documentary project that is underway and I am in the process of buying a camcorder. It seems to be boiling down to the pdx10 or the vx2000. The big diffs as I see it are low light, Xlr inputs, dvcam, and size. The thought of getting an xlr adapter hurts my head. The more things you have connected = more points of failure.

I plan on doing all of the editing myself on a g4.

Who can explain to me why then dvcam would make a diff? Why is the vx2000 considered consumer and the pdx10 a pro cam? I have read many of the posts here, but am still confused at the bottom line.

I talked to a Sony guy at SonyStyle and he said it was pro because of the dvcam.

Could anyone add legitimacy or reasoning for this?

Thanks
Kenner Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Opinion or features, that is the answer. Pd-150 is the same camera as the VX, with two xlr ports, and DV-Cam capability. Same x's and 0's.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:31 PM   #3
Wrangler

Boy this topic gets exercised a lot around here ;-) If you read back through both the PD-150 and PDX-10 forums you should find lots of discussion of the features and advantages of each. The PDX-10 and VX-2000 are similar in price, but completely different cameras. If 16:9 is vital to you then that would tip the scales towards the PDX-10. The PD-150 is the "pro" version of the VX-2000, however it's more expensive. I think Chris does a nice job comparing them at http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/companion.htm

I have a VX-2000 and PDX-10. In a nutshell, if you're shooting 4:3 video you'll probably be better served with the VX-2000 and even happier with the PD-150 if you can afford it. But if you want a smaller camera, or if you are working exclusively in 16:9 the PDX-10 offers a better image.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

um, don't wanna sound like the idiot here, but PDX10? Is this the "pro" version of the DCR-TRV950? Oh, the Pd150 has time code.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion