PD150 VS VX2K with XLR Adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 25th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

PD150 VS VX2K with XLR Adaptor

The biggest difference (IMO) between the PD150 and VX2K having owned a VX2K and now a proud owner of a PD150, is the XLR Audio. I agree there are others but, the "evolutionary" difference are the XLRs. With that in mind, Mike has stated in one of his old posts that having filmed using a VX1K, (sorry Mike, I must paraphrase) that the price difference between the VX2K and the PD150 is worth the extra $$. This I agree with and is willing to postulate a reason why. Even with an XLR Adaptor on the VX2K, the signal goes from a balanced signal to an unbalanced mini stereo adaptor, but on the PD150 it is balanced audio all the way specially when an XLR mic is used. (This and the fact Sony fixed the hiss thing.) So the purpose of this thread is to ask you all, if I'm on the mark or way off base. I guess what I'm saying is if I am wrong then one can simply buy a $200 adaptor and will have a very comparable (minus the other goodies) camera to the PD150 at an additional cost of only $200.
Old April 25th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: PD150 VS VX2K with XLR Adaptor

Don't forget a xlr mic too... so it'll be more than just $200 extra.
Matt Brouwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

But Matt the price difference is almost $1000 maybe more looking at the list price...$2999 for the VX2000 and $3940 PD150 (of course that is if you completely get ripped off.)
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

150's are reputed to be going for less than $3000 now. I haven't checked personally.

There is more than just a pair of XLR connectors involved because not only do you get them, you also get phantom power which, I believe costs more than $200 in a XLR adapter.

And the camera sits much more securely on the tripod without an adapter between the two.

Personally I cannot tell much difference between the sound of a XLR adapted camera and the PD150. But these are old and much abused ears.

I'd buy a 2000 before I'd buy a (tongue in cheek) 'lesser' camera. But I really really like the SLR setup on the 150.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion