2 questions about vx-2000?? help a newbie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 25th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 questions about vx-2000?? help a newbie

I recently bought a vx-2000 and want to increase my overall knowledge of camera operation. I took my vx to the auto car show in NYC and basically my camera shots sucked, is there anyplace on the web where I can read up on how to operate my cam a little better? My main goal is to do documentary style shooting so it's very important I learn these things.

My second question is what is a god lav mic for vx? I have a xlr adapter already.
Michael McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2
High School Student

Any lav mic will work good... look at www.bhphotovideo.com

What do you mean by your shots sucked? Was it dull in colors? Was it shakey? What exactly was the problem?

The VX2000 in auto mode, generally gives good results, but taking advantage of the many manual features it has to offer, is always a good thing.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

twas really shaky...colors extremely dull

Yes, the footage was really shaky and the color was also really dull. I'm really new to this digital video thing and I'm trying to at least capture solid shots of people..places and things. I have a book that recommends keeping the camera close to my body when i shoot to prevent shakiness but, thats the only reference to operating cam's that it gives. what auto modes are good to set?
Old April 26th, 2003, 05:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Christina Fox recently posted links to BBC training material on the VX2000. I downloaded two PDFs and have learned some key stuff using them. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/onlineCourse.asp?tID=5160&cat=2797

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Mike, dude, make sure steady shot is on, avoid full telephoto unless you are on a good tripod and check your White Balance or just set everything to "auto" until you learn enough to go manual.
Old April 26th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Get a decent tripod, monopod shoulder brace or whatever fits the occaision for you. Work with your white balance. Remember to shoot nothing less than 10 seconds, plan your shots, it's better to have too much than not enough. Shoot lots of film, practice, practice, practice. All of the book learning in the world won't help if you can't use your camera. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learn from them, we all do.
Old April 26th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #7
Major Player

A wide angle converter will also improve the hand held shots. It would be an absolute for me if I was shooting an auto show. Many models of wide lenses available, check the archieves.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Wrangler

One word of warning: apparently, wide angle lenses can degrade the performance of the VX2000's optical stabilizer. I discovered this myself on a shoot in India. When I commented on it here, someone mentioned that it's documented in the manual. Just goes to show that I shoud RTFM.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Paul, in what way was the image degraded? So many shooters never take the lens off that this should be a major issue.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #10
Major Player

And what lens was it? I have logged a lot of miles with my Sony wide lens attached and never had a problem with the steadishot, although the warning is in the manual. Was this a low light situation?

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #11
Wrangler

Many wide angle adapters soften the image somewhat. Not bad but definitly softer.

The Steadshot function in the 150/2000 can apparently be fooled by the WA adapter. Except for hand-held situations, I turn it off now. Sure miss the exterior switch the VX1000 had for the function.

Steady shot at full wide with an adapter is probably not necessary anyway.

BTW, I'm not certain the camera is really designed to have a WA adapter on it all the time. I'm thinking of mechanical stress on the lens and lens mount.
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

NICE...The info has been very useful especially the christina fox tutorials. I'm taking my vx out and practicing so I can get comfy with operation. Mike rhemus what do you think of a pro mist filter? will it give the vx a professional look?
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
in what way was the image degraded?
The image wasn't degraded; the stability was. Steady shot couldn't keep the image as steady.
Quote:
And what lens was it?
Optex .65x
Quote:
Was this a low light situation
No -- full day light.
Quote:
Steady shot at full wide with an adapter is probably not necessary anyway.
It certainly is in the situations in which I shoot, i.e. walking behind my subjects.
Quote:
I'm not certain the camera is really designed to have a WA adapter on it all the time. I'm thinking of mechanical stress on the lens and lens mount.
Which is why I bought the WA with the bayonet mount, which takes the stress, rather than the lens mount which contains the screw thread.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #14
Trustee

That was an excellent answer Paul.
Mike, Christina Fox has a PD150 workbook on her site. there are many other informative articles as well.
http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Lot's of us are using the Canon WA-58, I haven't noticed any distortion with this lens at all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion