DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Vx2100 audio setup?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/91410-vx2100-audio-setup.html)

Jay Voog April 13th, 2007 05:42 AM

Vx2100 audio setup??

Wondering if some of you with the vx2000-2100 cams can let me know your audio setup. The reason i ask is, i mostly do manual settings but sometimes i switch to auto and the vx seems to record very "hot".
Wondering if you all know of a workaround for this, is there particular mics or cables or setup that you all do? I mostly do wedding videography, and sometimes it really gets difficult to monitor the audio from wireless mic.
Just wondering of any ideas?

BTW, I have vx2100 camera with just a simple wireless mic that i plug in to mini mic jack.

thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Jay Voog April 15th, 2007 09:06 AM

Anybody???

Just letting me know what your typical audio setup would help me...thanks!

Richard Zlamany April 15th, 2007 10:48 AM

I record on auto. It records hot, but it doesn't clip. In post I adjust the audio properly and all is well. I've tried manual and auto and prefer auto for almost all situations I encounter.

Don Bloom April 15th, 2007 10:49 AM

Although I don't use a 2100 or 2000 I do use 150s and a 250 so perhaps I can help a little.
First you say it's difficult to monitor the wireless. I'm not sure I understand that. I sometimes use 2 sets of wireless on the DSR250 (depends on what kind of work it is) and I have no problem monitoring- and no I don't have any super hearing skills ;-)
As for cables and mics it would be easier if you told us what YOU have and are using also how you set it up-and if you would please give us your description of HOT-is the audio clipping, can you hear it in post, if you could be a bit more informative it would helps us to determine what if anything might be wrong or not.

Don

Jay Voog April 15th, 2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 660623)
First you say it's difficult to monitor the wireless. I'm not sure I understand that. As for cables and mics it would be easier if you told us what YOU have and are using also how you set it up-and if you would please give us your description of HOT-is the audio clipping, can you hear it in post, if you could be a bit more informative it would helps us to determine what if anything might be wrong or not.

Don

Hi Don,
Thanks for you response...basically when i say hard to monitor the audio, i mean it takes a few steps to be able to get the meters up to view, and when you are in manual audio mode, i can't seem to be able to adjust other things (such as exposure) when the audio meters are visible...not sure why. So, basically i need to get out of the audio meter to do any other sort of adjusting.

when i say "HOT", i don't mean "clipping" because it never really clips, but the level seems very close. I have heard these cameras typically record more "Hotter" than others. But I am just looking to see how other users of these cameras have their setup and what they do.

I basically have an Azden wireless UHF mic that I plug directly into the mini mic jack of the camera...no XLR.

Again, I am just trying to get feedback on what others do for their audio setup.
Thank you!

Don Bloom April 15th, 2007 03:10 PM

AHHH, even though I don't use the 2100 as I said before it is the same on the 150 and frankly even the 250 as it was on my JVC5000U. When you have a "menu" open you are pretty much restricted from making changes to any other part of the "menu system". Meaning when you display the audio levels in a way that you can adjust them you cannot adjust any other thing on the camera that requires you to be able to see the change in the camera-IE shutter speed, white balance etc. Frankly though i have to ask why you would need to change an exposure that frequently. I've shot fast breaking news, sports, weddings and all sorts of stuff over the years and once I;ve set the exposure that's pretty much it unless I move to a completly different lighting while still shooting. Well anyway in answer to the first thing then NO you can't change while adjusting the audio.
Yes sony's do seem to record a bit hotter than others however the 2100 and 2000 do make use of a shotgun type mic and I have heard from many that use them that in AGC they record to the on camera mic quite nicely-If however you are using an external mic be it shotgun or wireless type system my suggestion is to set channel one to AGC and channel 2 to manual set at about 30 to 40% of the level meter. That way even if you get a very loud noise that overloads one channel the other should be fine. Actually Iwould set it this way for ANY mic system including the on camera mic and honestly as long as it's not clipping then you're OK. Close doesn't count in audio;-)
Don