DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   B&H Contact (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/9156-b-h-contact.html)

Dennis Hull April 30th, 2003 07:54 PM

B&H Contact

Suggestions regarding a particular salesperson at B&H you have talked to who is particularly knowledgable concerning VX2000 and accessories for same would be appreciated.

Jeff Donald April 30th, 2003 08:23 PM

Sales people are sales people. There jobs and livelihood depends on them selling. If you want good information about the VX2000 then ask people here. They have much more knowledge than most sales people. Sales people will sell what's in stock or what item has the biggest spiff on it. You want honest answers, this is the place.

Mike Rehmus April 30th, 2003 09:32 PM

Lumping sales people all together is like lumping all videographers together. It isn't accurate nor fair to the breed. After all, it is the oldest and highest paid profession around.

Good knowledgable sales people aren't rare. They just normally don't work for Good Guys or Circuit City.

Honest, Jeff, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I used to be a knowledgable sales person and my customers then and now deserve and get the best advice I can give them.

I've yet to run across a poor B&H sales person, maybe because I tend to talk with either the Pro Video or Pro Audio departments. Or I'm just lucky.

Alex Knappenberger April 30th, 2003 09:53 PM

Yeah, I can agree with you mike, for sure. I actually ran into a good salesperson in CircuitCity not too long ago. He was pretty knowledgable, the first thing he said to me when I was looking at some of the digital cameras, then went over the the digital camcorders, was "Don't buy a Digital Camcorder and expect it to replace a real still camera." Which is a very true and accurate statement, and he gave me some little book Circuitcity made explaining all the different formats, which I already knew everything about, but it was helpful, and would steer someone in the right direction if they don't know much.

Jeff Donald April 30th, 2003 11:11 PM

I didn't say selling is evil or mean to imply that it is not a worth while profession. I'm just curious what it is that a knowledgeable B & H sales person (or Circuit City, Best Buy, Ritz Camera etc.) would know that the cumulative knowledge and experience of this board would not have. Sure, he might know how many units are in stock or what their best seller is. The very reason that these boards and others like it, exist, is because buyers can't get the answers they need from sales people the majority of the time.

Mike Rehmus May 1st, 2003 08:49 AM

Understand, Jeff.

It's just that I define a knowledgable sales person as someone who has gone to school on the subject and can teach me about the issues and applications of the product.

Those types of salesmen, and I know a few of them in this business, could teach many on this forum a thing or two about their area of expertize.

I do agree about the majority of the time.

Unfortunately, discount houses cannot afford to hire the folks who really can teach the subject. I deal with a pro video rep who can teach me more about camera work than most. But I cannot afford to pay the prices they ask for their products. So I shop elsewhere and only go to them when I really need advise about what to buy. Then I pony up the additional dollars and buy it from them. I must say that my most astute purchases have been through them.

Dennis Hull May 2nd, 2003 07:05 PM

Best Advice Here

I appreciate patience and time people on this forum take to help beginners like myself as well as consult with peers. For excellent unbiased and reliable advice, suggestions and help I read notes here. However, if in rush and if B&H is out of my first researched choice would like to just ask salesperson what is next best option.

Bryan Beasleigh May 2nd, 2003 08:06 PM

It's a crap shoot. you may actually find a salesman that knows what he's doing and has your best interest at heart. That said I have some swamp land for sale in Florida.

It may be a good idea to deal with the recomended retailers that sponsor this site. I really don't think Chris would allow anyone to "hoodwink" his people and I don't think the suppliers would take that chance.

At the end of the day, I'd still rather get my advice from the forum and the people that I know and trust.

Marco Leavitt May 3rd, 2003 12:27 PM

I'd have to say that my experience with B&H is that their salespeople are only helpful about a third of the time. Mainly, they seem to be in too much of a hurry to do a lot of talking. I've never had the impression they were pushing me to buy something I didn't need.

Chris Hurd May 3rd, 2003 12:48 PM

If you call B&H, ask for Jack Fettman. I know him personally and he is a genuinely superb salesman. There are a lot of very good sales reps at B&H, but of all of them the one I know best is Jack. He will do his best to help you. He knows about this site and recommends it all the time. Tell him you heard me say he was the one to talk to, and he'll treat you right. But then he treats everybody right all the time anyway. Hope this helps,

Dennis Hull May 3rd, 2003 07:15 PM

Good Sales Personnel

Thanks for info Chris. As was noted in earlier posts, can't lump all salespeople together--there are good salespeople (recognize you usually make more by giving good help and building up clientele who return and who refer people to you) and not so good. So, figured the experts in this forum would have run across one or two good salespeople in their careers.