New PD170 or 2100...audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

New PD170 or 2100...audio

I'm purchasing a new camera. I currently have a 2100...but I want the dual channel audio of the PD170...so I can run shotgun mic and wireless at same time...

Two questions, anybody out there who does weddings etc., have a solution to the audio acquisition issue that works around the lack of the dual channel capability of the 2100?

I run two cameras only.

Secondly, is the shotgun mic on the PD170 worth the difference in price in and of itself, or does it need replaced wth a better one to outshine the audio on the 2100?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 23rd, 2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: incomplete
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

while I have never used a 2000 or 2100 most everyone I know that does uses a Beachtek or similar box to handle their audio needs. I'll let others who use the cam speak more on that issue.

As for the mic on the 150/170/250, while it's not th ebest mic for say a church no shotgun really is and while it's got, in my opinion a limited use factor, it's not a terrible as some might say. Now having said that about the only time I really use it is say during a prep session where space might be at a premium and I'm not 100% concerend with the audio being top rate as it gets done with a music bed anyway. For most of my indoor work I use the AKG300/CK93 hyper caroid on my 250 and put an AT897 on my PD150 for the ceremony venue. I use the AT897 as my general purpose mic for most all other types of work. For about $300 it's a very good mic but again in a church if you're looking to get the sound from the PA system there really isn't a shotgun around that's going to do a decent job. I've had much better sucess with the hyper.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I used a Pd-170 and vx2000. Beachtek solution is the best work around if you want to get a bit more mileage out of your current camera. It's pretting much plug and shoot.

As for the Pd-170 - The mic that comes with is not horrible, but as soon as I could I switched out to a better shotgun mic and had no worries. Only time I used the shotgun was ambient or background sound.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thank you guys....Don I checked out the mic you mentioned...is it the capsule mic you are talking about?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The AT897 is not a capsule mic
The AKG-SE300 is however. You can get various capsules for it. I use the CK93 Hypercaroid capsule but the have omni,caroid and I think a supercaroid capsule as well.
frankly the AKG mic is has proven to be one of the best investments I have ever made.
Not that the At897 isn't a wonderful mic for the price (it is as I sold off a Sennheiser ME66 when I got the 897-to my ear it's not as hot or tinny)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Don
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

the mic on the pd170 is multi directional, thats my only complaint. a good shotgun mic gives you a choice. although if you shoot with the "mic att" setting on the cam, it sounds better, but that setting is typically for loud situations, ie. bands, crowds, etc... so you'd have to get in real close with the mic to have a good level of audio. either way you shuold be getting in as close as possible though...but yes, when i get around to it, i will upgrade, if that helps answer your question.
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The PD I purchased was well worth it...

There is just nothing like using equipment that has everything integrated natively...
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Azden Cam-3 mic mixer with Sony VX2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I'm purchasing a new camera. I currently have a 2100...but I want the dual channel audio of the PD170...so I can run shotgun mic and wireless at same time...

Two questions, anybody out there who does weddings etc., have a solution to the audio acquisition issue that works around the lack of the dual channel capability of the 2100?
I use the VX2100 at weddings and have been using the Azden Cam-3 mixer to mix 3 wireless Sennheiser G2 systems to the camera. The mixer has 3 each 1/8" inputs and one 1/8" stereo output. One imput mixes audio to the right channel, another input is for the left chennel, and the 3rd input delivers audio to both channels. The mixer doesn't require any power, it's maller than a deck of cards. You can find them at B&H for less than $50.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Ron. An amazingly simple and wonderful piece of equipment. I am astonished I haven't seen anything on it before. I did purchase the PD, and it I am really glad I did. But I still run a 2100, so I am ordering The Azden piece immediately!
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thanks Ron.
Your welcome Jeff.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sorry to add to this thread, but just wondering those who use the vx2100...
what do you normally have for an audio setup?

I have a wireless mic that i usually plug straight in to mic input on camera, then i try to control maually the level. But when i do that i can't control anything else on the camera (ie, exposure, iris) without first exiting the manual audio.
Just wondering if anyone has feedback on this, and what you use for audio with this camera (your setup and equipment).

thanks!
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM   #13
New Boot

I record the audio seperately to my Sony HI-MD deck that is worn on my person with either the Core Sound Cardioids clip on mics or the DPA 4061 clip on mics.Than add the audio in post.Works out great for me.
Jim Sobolewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Manual audio level with the VX2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Voog View Post
I have a wireless mic that i usually plug straight in to mic input on camera, then i try to control maually the level. But when i do that i can't control anything else on the camera (ie, exposure, iris) without first exiting the manual audio.
Just wondering if anyone has feedback on this, and what you use for audio with this camera (your setup and equipment).

thanks!
Hi Jay.

I think maybe your going about it the wrong way. Go into the menu and set your camera on manual audio level, then exit the menu. You can then monitor your audio levels on the LCD screen by pressing the "Audio Level" button, and simply adjust your level using the scroll wheel. If the audio level meeter is preventing you from seing something else on your LCD screen, simply hit the "Audio Level Indicator" button again to turn the meter display off. You don't have to go back into the menu to adjust your levels. Is that what your doing maybe?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Priest View Post
Hi Jay.

I think maybe your going about it the wrong way. Go into the menu and set your camera on manual audio level, then exit the menu. You can then monitor your audio levels on the LCD screen by pressing the "Audio Level" button, and simply adjust your level using the scroll wheel. If the audio level meeter is preventing you from seing something else on your LCD screen, simply hit the "Audio Level Indicator" button again to turn the meter display off. You don't have to go back into the menu to adjust your levels. Is that what your doing maybe?
Hi Ron,
I understand what you are saying here...thanks for your feedback. I was just making a comment on adjusting the audio level while needing to adjust the exposure...you can't do them at the same time without pushing a couple buttons back and forth. I am more wondering how everyone has their audio setup. Sometimes I run the audio in my camera on auto and it seems to really record the audio at a "hotter" level than normal. What is your typical audio setup?
thanks!
Jay Voog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion