DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   DSR 300 Anamorphic Adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/93232-dsr-300-anamorphic-adapter.html)

Michael Jordan May 4th, 2007 01:30 PM

DSR 300 Anamorphic Adapter?

I shoot for a college television show. It's mainly in-studio, but we have taped on-location stuff. The studio is fully anamorphic 16:9 (SD). In the past, we've used the wide-screen mode on a DSR 250 for the on-location stuff, but the quality is almost embarrassing.

We also have a few DSR 300 cameras that are MUCH nicer, but they only shoot in 4:3. All of the 300s use a Canon YH18x6.7 lens (82mm thread). Is there an anamorphic adapter I can get for this, so that I can shoot truly anamorphic video on my beloved 300? I read somewhere that they don't make anamorphic adapters for 82mm so I'm a bit worried.

Bob Hart May 6th, 2007 08:01 AM

At a guess you might get away with using a Panasonic 16:9 anamorphic lens made for the DVX100 with a stepdown ring 82mm to 72mm. You might have to have this ring custom made.

Same goes for the Century Optics 16:9 for PD150s. There is apparently a 58mm filter thread version which you might use a stepdown ring to mount to your 82mm. Optex also made a 58mm filter thread version.

With the larger diameter lens on your camera you may lose wide angle views although the 16:9 will give a little back. The front element on the PD150 is 52mm diameter.

Another thing which may make rubbish of my comment is the size of the CCD in the DSR 300. The 16:9 adaptors I mention are designed for 1/3" CCD camcorders. Is the DSR 300 using 1/3" CCDs.

Tom Hardwick May 14th, 2007 03:07 AM

Using an anamorphic lens means you have to learn to love distorted viewfinders, where tall thin people step out of cars with elliptical wheels. This is not the greatest aid to composition, I find.

The VX/PD (58 mm filter thread) have pretty good electronic anamorphics built in, and these give you much better letterboxed v'finder images. I'd be surprised to learn the 250 didn't have this facility also.

tom.

Mark Joseph June 20th, 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 678733)
The VX/PD (58 mm filter thread) have pretty good electronic anamorphics

In the case of these 1/3 ccd cams I'd say that's an oxymoron...displaying their built-in WS even on lowly 852 x 480 LCD projectors just doesn't cut it, let alone HD LCD/Plasmas. Optical anamorphic lense only way for decent 16:9 on these cams in my view.

Tom Hardwick June 21st, 2007 02:14 AM

Yes, optical anamorphic is best, as is OIS over EIS. But the anamorphic lens does come with its own set of compromises that have to be understood and accepted before shooting begins.

I've mentioned the distorted viewfinders, but there's also more flare, differing DoF vertically and horizotally, wierd elliptical out of focus highlights, alignment problems and far greater chance of vignetting the image.

But video is one step up from the cinema. They had to project back through an anamorphic in the theatre, so adding to the problems.

tom.

Marlon Martins September 23rd, 2008 04:42 PM

sorry to revive the tread, but some one knows a better options besides a stepdown adapter to use a 16:9 adaptor on 82mm lens?

im with a "old and good" gy-dv5000, with a canon lens with 82mm filter..

Mick Mearman May 23rd, 2009 08:46 AM

I know this is an old thread but I too would like to find an adapter for the DSR300 having being pleased with the results of the Panasonic DVX 100 ones, it does bring back into use cameras that have been put to one side and as long as you avoid full zoom (won't focus) and wide angle (barrel distortion) the results are far better than electronic squeeze, I would love to be able to use my DSR300 again, but don't make the mistake I made, the thread is the same on my DSR as the DVX but don't forget that the DSR300 lens is a proper one and revolves with the focus so anything attached to the filter thread will also revolve so that option is not available, it would have to be something supported on fixed rods, is there anything about?

Neil Goodwill March 29th, 2010 10:51 AM

I have a DXC-537AP, and would love to use an anamorphic adaptor in order to make footage compatible with my DSR-500WSP (16:9). I find it astonishing that no manufacturer has invented an 82mm filter size version of the Century or Panasonic 72mm adaptors.
I bought a Mosty anamorphic adapter a while ago on ebay. Although it is intended for projection purposes, I thought I may be able to adapt it for use with either my Canon or Fuji internal focus lenses. I've not had any luck so far, but will let you know how I get on.