bags, cases, travel... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 15th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #1
New Boot

bags, cases, travel...

I am going to Africa for a year, and want to be able to grab the camera and go anywhere and shoot. Any advice as to bags that have worked well, home made adaptations, hard cases, etc.?
Thanks,

Marcello
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Major Player

I spent a short amount of time in Kenya while I was still in the Navy. That area had an extreme amount of fine red dust that gets into everything. The climate and conditions vary greatly, depending on where and when you are given areas. Consider hardcases for making major moves, and softcases for safari and such. Batteries may be hard to come by. Bring lots of cleaning gear. Don't spare the bucks for your cases whatever you decide.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:22 AM   #3
New Boot

Marcello, I bought a hard case for my PD150 from this guy who makes cases for travelling musicians. These are tough, cheap, and the foam is pre-cut for the camera.

He's at www.forvideocreations.com
John Tkachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you don't want to spend $100+ for a hard case, you can make one for only $45!

Here is what you need (rather, here is what I got to make two hard cases; one for my pd150 and one for my accessories):
1)Three hours of your time;
2) Two "Craftsman" 18'' Metal Tool Boxes from Sears --$14.99 each; and
3)One pack of Mattress Pad (Custom Support Foam --the Queen size) from Target --$14.95.

(First I tried "Frost King" Rubber Foam Weatherseal Self Stick Tape --1 1/4'' wide, 7/16'' thick, 10' long-- from Home Depot; but it stinks bad.)

Now all you need to do is cut the foam so that you can dress the floor and the four walls of the interior of the tool box, then place your camera in the now dressed box, and finally cut more foam to fill in the remaining space and build a "safety-wall" around your camera for absolute protection. Use the other tool box to do the same for your camera's accessories.

I like the metal tool box, however you can use a plastic one if you prefer; I saw some pretty good "Craftsman" ones at Sears.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:01 PM   #5
Outer Circle

If you go to an automotive or marine supply store, you may find very good hard cases in many sizes, and fairly cheap as well. Pelican cases aren't expensive, though. They're very good.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:12 PM   #6
New Boot

I started out with one of those $15.00 cases, but they were, well, $15.00 cases. I guess you don't notice it until you do have a good case. Hinges, handles, all hardware are heavy duty and nicely finished. Where ever I go I'm asked about my new case. It looks professional. I spent a lot of money for my PD150 it's no longer in a $15.00 tool box.
John Tkachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:55 PM   #7
Trustee

John is right . We spend several thousand on gear and build a case with 2x4's or modify a $20 tool box so it likes like a $20 toolbox used as a camera case. I'm a mechanic and cheap toolboxes are just that, cheap components, welds , hinges etc. I wouldn't put mny tools in one let alone a camera.

I use a portabrace as a soft bag and it doesn't even look like a camera bag, more like a very nice carryon bag.

For hardshell equipment cases, buy the gear that was designed to protect. As Frank said pelican are quite reasonable and you can trust the latches and hinges.

Bruce Johnson, the camera forum moderator at DV.COM uses a hardshell golf bag lined with foam to carry stands, tripods and lighting gear
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion