Iris & Gain Setting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Iris & Gain Setting?

Hi, I am editing a 3 cam wedding ceremony. When I was inputting the footage I noticed that one of the cams were set to 4.8 with 6 db. Is this a valid technique, shooting with such a high gain inside a church, when the iris could have been opened more?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not normally

Hi Richard,
I have shot and edited a bunch of weddings in different surrounds and my opinion is if it is anything above 1.6 at full wide, then you shouldn't use any gain. It is better to be a little dark than too bright. Generally, so long as you have good contrast in the shadows and your bright areas are not blown out, you shouldn't ever need to use gain. Set the colour viewfinder to a mid level, not too bright or too dark. The eye viewfinder will always tell you the truth and you can use your zebra to check if the whites are blown out too much. The darkest church I have shot in required +6db with the aperture set (fixed, should always set it manual) at 1.6 fully wide to 2.4 full telephoto. Receptions are something else, but once you go toward +12db, you need to start using a camera light.
Jamie Kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Generally I'd open the iris before setting gain above 0.

There are times when one can set gain above 0 before adjusting iris.

Example:
Iris adjustments seem to be finer than gain adjustments.
Moving gain during a shot causes a noticeable bounce in luminance.
If I find I'm in a situation where some parts of the shot need to be gained up while others don't, I'll set gain to a given point and then adjust iris as needed.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the input. The camera woman who shot this way is very experienced, so I can't understand for the life of me why she would do this. She must have made a mistake. If I get the chance I'll ask her.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #5
New Boot

The gain allowed her to turn down the aperture. This gave her a grearer depth of field. Less hunting on auto focus and more leeway when in manual. The amount of gain she used adds next to no grain with that camera. I think she knew what she was doing
Myron Iwankewich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion