neutral density filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Major Player

neutral density filters

The PD cam's have two neutral density filters built in, which I've come to rely on. Now that I'm fiddling with the HV20, I'd like to imitate those filters. Anyone know what the built in filters correlate to in terms of what's available from Tiffen, Hoya, etc.

thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not sure what you're saying you'd like to do here Scott. The HV20's inbuilt ND filters (I assume they're internal and not user selectable) may well be grads, in that they vary their density as the light changes.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Major Player

The HV10 and 20 do have built in ND's, and maybe the HC7 does as well. But they aren't giving me the control I'm looking for, namely a wider aperture at lower shutter speeds. So, I was hoping to imitate the PD's user-selectable ND's by adding external ones.

Another way to ask the question is, when one selects ND1 on the PD, to what ND from Tiffen or Hoya does that compare?

...with chagrin, I discovered that the manual does answer the question better than my cynically low expectations. It says ND1 reduces the light to 1/4 of what it was (2 stops down, if I'm not mistaken), and ND2 reduces it to 1/32 of what it was (5 stops down).

So, in terms of external ND filters, a Tiffen ND.6 reduces the light by two stops, matching what the ND1 provides on the PD cams.

Huh, imagine that reading the manual actually provided the answer.

Happy shooting...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You don't have to read the manual, just the aperture readout when you switch in the filters.

Camcorders without manually switchable ND filters generally let the lens stop down to f/4 (so only one stop down in telephoto), then they bring in more and more ND as light levels rise. Only when all the ND is used up will the aperture go smaller than f/4. So adding external ND doesn't help you very much.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion