Camera with a green tint on all at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Closed Thread

Old July 25th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera with a green tint on all

Can someone help me on this? I have a filming in 1 hour. I have a sony 2100 DCR-VX and it is shooting with a green tint to everything. tried all l know can’t get thr green tint it to go away. HELP!

RON
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ron,

Check out the link below.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...EN&news_id=118

Bad new: your CCD might be going bad. Good news: Sony will fix it for free through October of this year.

I sent mine in and Sony replaced it free of charge. However, I was without my camera for about 2 to 3 weeks.

Chris
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Green tint

Thanks Chris,
I am not getting the total green screne that they (sony) show on the link you gave me. l can still see a image but, all is green, is this the same problem that you had?

Thanks, Ron
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ron,

Mine didn't look like the pictures online either. I could see horizontal lines flickering in my LCD (and also on my tape). I posted a sample video on another internet board and was told me CCD was going bad. I called Sony and they replaced is without much hassle.

It's worth a phone call.

Chris
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Green tint

Thanks Chris
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I did the same thing (sent my camera in for the CCD issue)...but when you send it in, list out all other problems/issues you have with your camera. I sent mine in with a note on fixing the tape holder and some loose buttons and they also fixed that for free. It had nothing to do with the CCD problem that I was experiencing, but they still fixed it. So go through your camera and see all that has problems and you will get back a camera that seems new out of the box (at least that is what they did for me). Sony gets A+ in my book!
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Jay.

Ron
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Did sony fix the cam?

My pd170 is shooting with a green tint to it, but I don't think it is covered like the vx2100. Has anyone had this happen to a pd170? I shot a hot afternoon wedding and it went green during the reception.

Anyhow, my pd170 is dead...
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Richard,

I think your situation would be worth a phone call to Sony. The worst they can say to you is no.

Chris
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Major Player

I'll give them a call on Monday and see how it fares.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Sony will fix the CCD for free, but a spring arm needs to be fixed. It ends up costing me $605.00 because of a Spring Arm.

No one ever called me back like I was told 3 times and overall I am not happy or impressed with the Sony Professional Repair center. $600 for a spring arm and the no call backs is lame. The repair invoice was written very poorly not letting me know exactly what work needs to be done...
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Major Player

Still very dissatisfied with Sony. The repair center is anything but professional. I am very unhappy they charged me $600 to fix a defective cam just because they cleaned the heads and replaced a washer. It is my belief that Sony is doing this to make some money to cover their losses because of the recall.

This flat rate charge is a ripoff and I don't know why, we, the customers have to put up with it. The Sony repair center works like a small company. Example the person who takes the CC info was not there at 3pm the other day, so I had to call back the next day to give the info because they only have one person there to takee the info. Can't Sony hire a 2nd person to do this work? Afterall, charging a flat rate, they should have more than enough money. I also have never received and itemized list of the exact repairs.

Do I have right to be unhappy with this, or is this acceptable repair behavior?

I've dealt with Armatos and it was nothing like this.

Should I complain to Sony repair about these grievances?

Last edited by Richard Zlamany; August 10th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Major Player

Well I complained and complained a lot.

The price of the repair had been reduced by Sony. The price of the repair is $210 instead of $605 including the shipping. I can pick up the cam from the Sony site directly, so I don't see why I am being charged for shipping, but I will leave well enough alone. So if anyone is unhappy about a repair definitely call and explain many many times because in the end there is light at the end of the repeat complaining tunnel. I complained at least 4 times to Sony on the phone to 3 different people before I got the manager and he saw my point.

All in all, this is just a sign of the times...

I wonder if the flat rate charge for repair came after 2004, after the call back on the CCDs. If so, it's perfect timing for Sony. My biggest gripe is lack of clarity Sony has in telling and showing a repair estimate to the customer. BTW I still have seen nothing. The flat rate charge is more to sony's advantage than it is to the customer and I find that to be highly alarming. I could easily speculate that Sony is turning a pretty profit for making defective cams.

I should have the cam by next week to see if everything works.

Last edited by Richard Zlamany; August 10th, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #14
Wrangler

No, the flat-rate repair has always been in place.

When you agreed to the flat-rate repair you took your chances. Had they replace $1,000 worth of parts you wouldn't be complaining, Richard. I think they bent over backwards to accommodate you even though you agreed to their terms by shipping them the camera.

I've made out famously with Sony but when I know it is a minor repair, Armato's always gets the cameras.

And by the way, Sony Repair, as you found out, are terrible at customer relations and frequently get things mixed up. Like the time they ruined the back focus on my PD150 so I had to send it back. Ultimately they gave me a new camera when they couldn't fix the RFI problems (no, that didn't fix it either, it is a design problem).

I find that calling the 800 number for the support group (not the repair group) is much more likely to result in a satisfactory ending. The support group is a customer advocate and has a lot of power to affect the service group. The 800 number is one of the benefits of buying a 170 instead of a 2100. Pro vs Consumer treatment.
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #15
Major Player

My satisfaction began with after I called the 800 # and told them how dissatisfied I was with the repair center in NJ.

I am not a fan of the flat rate plan. I'd rather see an itemized bill. I was never given any other options at all even though I asked. I had to do some serious complaining to get anyone to see how the flat rate plan was screwing me. I don't think it was Sony that was bending over backwards at all.
If anything they were doing their jobs in a clone like way.

My serial # is on the list of defective cams. I should be treated well and taken care of for this imposed inconvenience.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion