Sony announces new 4K camera systems PMW-F55 and PMW-5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old October 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony announces new 4K camera systems PMW-F55 and PMW-5

Thanks Philip.
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Here's another link direct from Sony U.K.
Topic: PMW-F55
Video clip: 18 minutes in length!
Enjoy!

Introducing the PMW-F55 : Sony Professional
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Thanks Trell good to see some of the options.

Still have not found pricing?

Is it true that SXS Pro only?
SxS Pro and SxS-1 will both work for 50Mbps 4:2:2 (and I think for XAVC at normal framerates).

Everything else (high-framerates, SRMaster recording) will require a new type of SxS card called "SxS Pro+".
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark, got it after viewing the video Trell posted.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Do not forget that a 32Gb SxS Pro card is $700. Not inexpensive, especially considering the high bit rates the F5/55 have.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #21
Inner Circle

If I was to buy the F5 or F55 I would go for their new SxS Pro + 128GB cards. Cards are cheap when you look at these type of cameras. Always amazes me when people skimp and buy cheap cards.

Looking at the UK video the cameras will be very power hungry. Not sure what size battery he was using but it only last one hour. Maybe 90 W/h.
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
If I was to buy the F5 or F55 I would go for their new SxS Pro + 128GB cards. Cards are cheap when you look at these type of cameras. Always amazes me when people skimp and buy cheap cards.
I've not seen pricing on the new SxS Pro PLUS cards yet. Do you know the price range for the new ones?
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Inner Circle

No I do not know, but if you spend $75-90K on the F55 and $35-45K on the F5 the cards are the cheap part.

Remember the prices that have been push around on the web are body only. VF mostly likely will cost $10-15K, and then batteries, and the 4K unit. Still amazing for the price and I really hope we are proven wrong and the price comes in lower.
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Trustee

regarding cards I think the pro+ cards will be priced around the same as current pro cards maybe slightly more.

Regarding AXS cards however, what we know are that for high speed cards capable of RAW data transfer whether it be RED, SRMaster, or Convergent Designs SSD media is that 512GB goes anywhere from $1500 to $4000 dollars. (1TGB = 60 minutes of RAW by the way.)

The F55 is definitely no average camera for average use. I think it is great Sony packed so much into it that made it compete with high end lines from RED and heck even the Alexa camera but people need to realize the cameras the F55 will compete with are in the $50k-$100k range. The best thing about the F55 is 4k with codec but it won't be long before 4k ext. recorders become available for even RED cameras again evening out the playing field.

4k is not going to be "cheap" by any stretch. FS700 owners will need a firmware upgrade (maybe free may not) and then a HXR-IFR5 for $2000 interface module unit in order to attach the AX5 recorder. Not cheap this stuff, not cheap.

I really can't wait to see pricing on all this stuff.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:01 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Right there with you Dennis, amazing gear for the cost.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Major Player

It's nice they have an integrated shoulder pad with rod support, but that external viewfinder plug that sticks out 90 degrees from the body seems like a suspect design issue.

In any kind of handheld situation, that viewfinder socket in the body is going to take some serious abuse.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
VF mostly likely will cost $10-15K, and then batteries,
Seriously Paul, you actually think Sony is going to charge $10 - $15k or more for a VF?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Jim have you ever purchased a VF for a PDW F800, 700, or PMW 500? I had a C35W with my XDCAM Line. The C35W is $11K retail and that is not up to what they will offer with these cameras. So yes $10K is what I think the VF will cost.

Happy to be proven wrong but these are not budget cameras.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM   #29
Major Player

Yes, I've always had the best VFs on our cameras but there's a big difference between "not budget cameras" and a $10-15k evf in this market.

For instance the Red Bomb OLED is less than $4k, everyone loves the VF on the C300 and it's no extra charge, and you can mount a great Small EVF on any camera today for less than $1k, so no, I don't think Sony would charge anything like that today.

There's still an absolute lack of information on pricing, but if the school of "these are meant to be C300/C500 killers" is right, then Sony's not going to charge the price of a C300 for the evf on an F5.

If on the other hand you're right, and the F5 is going to be $35k+ camera, then Sony has missed the boat, and the majority of the market that's so excited right now will walk away.

I think you'll see a basic F5, directly aimed, as they say, at the corporate, doc and indie market, in the $15k+ range. The basic setup for that would be sans 4k recorder and with the basic EVF of their 3 options.

Sony isn't going to release the F5 for a price that would be equal to more than 2 fully rigged Red Scarlets.
The Scarlet full EF package is $16k, with everything and more than the F5 is offering (direct to disk 4K, no additional module.) And Red isn't dropping there prices because they think Sony is going to be charging more than them.

The F5 will compete with the Scarlet and the C300 pricing. That's the new benchmark for an affordable, professional film making rig. And Sony knows that they can own that market because the F5 offers so much more than the C300.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Jim I hope you are correct. If so I would keep my C300 and buy a F5.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta