Doug Jensen's Guide to the Sony PMW-F55 Book at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Vortex Media

Doug Jensen's Guide to the Sony PMW-F55 Book

I am happy to announce that “Doug Jensen's Guide to the Sony PMW-F55” has finally been approved by Apple and is now available for purchase on the iTunes bookstore. In addition to the full-length 300-page book, there is also a 30-page sample book that can be downloaded for free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dou...476?ls=1&mt=11

(I'm not sure if this link will work outside the USA, but the book is available worldwide)

Requirements: To view this book, you must have an iPad with iBooks 3 or later and iOS 5.1 or later, or a Mac with iBooks 1.0 or later and OS X 10.9 or later. Due to many factors, there are no plans at this time to publish a printed book or to make the digital version available on other platforms.

At this time, there is no F5 book planned. The reason that this book is written specifically for the F55 is because I don’t own an F5 and I can’t afford to rent one for the many weeks it would have taken to also research, test, and write about the F5. As any F5 owner knows, there is a tremendous amount of overlap between the cameras, but without actually having an F5 in my hands, I chose not to speculate about how the differences between the cameras would manifest themselves in real-world operation. I would say that 98% of the information in the book can also be applied directly to the F5, but when it comes to the topics of 4K internal recording, proxies, and paint menu settings, obviously there will be some differences. If you are an F5 operator, and you feel comfortable that you can recognize those differences and workaround them, then I think you will be pleased with the rest of the book.

Benefits of an iBook

You can purchase the iBook and download it immediately rather than waiting for a printed book to be delivered.
No shipping costs or customs fees.
A printed book would be outdated the minute after the camera’s next firmware update, but an iBook can be periodically updated as needed.
The iBook contains interactive features that cannot be found in a printed book or even an ordinary iBook.
No trees were harmed in the manufacture of the iBook.
The full content of this iBook is searchable by keywords and phrases.
Passages can be highlighted and annotated.
This iBook reproduces sample images more faithfully than a printed book can.

Chapter List:

INTRODUCTION
GETTING STARTED
USER MENU
RECORDING FORMATS
TWO CAMERAS IN ONE
CUSTOM SHOOTING MODE
PAINT MENUS
SCENE FILES
CINE EI SHOOTING MODE
LUTS & LOOK PROFILES
EXPOSURE
WHITE BALANCE
MARKERS
USER DATA FILES
MEMORY CARDS
VIDEO MONITORING
2K CENTER SCAN
SHOOTING RAW
S&Q MOTION
CLIP NAMING
ASSIGN BUTTONS
AUDIO
TIMECODE & GENLOCK
PICTURE CACHE
INTERVAL RECORDING
WI-FI CONTROL
BATTERY MENUS
OTHER SYSTEM MENUS
PLAYBACK OPERATION
UPDATING FIRMWARE
INGESTING & ARCHIVING
MENU TREE

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta