Opinion needed about Sony PMW-EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:30 AM   #1
New Boot

Opinion needed about Sony PMW-EX3

I'm not a pro by any means like most of you on this forum but value your input. I own a Sony PMW-EX3. Bought it several years ago with aspirations of broadening my love for photography to film making. Bought tripod, wireless mics, monitor, cases, etc. Used it a total of 22 hours (current reading on the camera's counter). The camera is in pristine condition and has been meticulously stored. Decided to sell it. Ebay. Best offer I've gotten is $4600 (camera, Porta-Brace bag, 2SXS cards, extra battery, shoulder mount). I see other EX3's with 20 times more hours going for about the same. Question: Should I take the money? Is the EX3 old technology that will only continue to depreciate? If I wanted to start shooting video I'd have to spend $8K to buy something comparable like the PMW300. Maybe I should just hold onto it. I'm not desperate for the money. Any input would be appreciated. Including better outlets to sell it other than ebay. I'm in the NYC area.

Thanks
Michael Kushner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Opinion needed about Sony PMW-EX3

Tough call but I recently sold a superb condition, relatively low hours EX3 (via a trade in) for just over £3000 - so not a million miles away from your price...and then traded-up to the PMW-300.

Only you can decide to keep it or move on (and the price penalty that will incur) but 1080p 422 50Mbps is really where it's at now - until we all head on down the 4K road!!! The EX3, although a mighty fine camera, is effectively 6 year old technology and I'm VERY glad I made my move when I did and the PMW-300 is a great step up - but then I do this for a living and wanted Sony Prime Support cover etc.

My recent initial assessment of the PMW-300 (link below) has a section in it explaining the dilemma I faced and why I decided to sell my EX3. Just posting it here as it may help you clarify things in your mind.

SonyPMW300
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:07 AM   #3
New Boot

Re: Opinion needed about Sony PMW-EX3

Thanks Andy. Appreciate it.
Michael Kushner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds