Sony PMW 350 Stuck on Sony VCT14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony PMW 350 Stuck on Sony VCT14

So I have a bit of a problem with the sony vct 14 quick release plate.

It is stuck on my camera.

I have had it get a little stuck from time to time.

This time though it is not budging.

I have gone so far as to hold the camera while someone else pulled on the plate.

not even a small movement.

has anyone ever had this happen?

Does anyone know if there is a way to take apart the plate, and manually release the camera?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PMW 350 Stuck on Sony VCT14

Tom, is the release handle fully functional? IOW is it moving all the way forward? (all the way is actually to about the halfway position and of course making sure the locking tab is moving with it)
That is the only thing I can think of why the plate won't release from the camera.

Once you get it off the camera you'll need to check that mechanism completely to make sure there is nothing broken dirt inside.

If the handle isn't moving all the way then you may have to take drastic measures on the plate.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

This has happened to me in the past. The cause: A bolt that is too long screwed into the bottom of the VCT QR plate, for example if the bolt from the tripod plate to the VCT-14 is too long it will jam mechanism and pre the release from releasing.

If you have nothing bolted to the plate, sometimes you can use a thin screwdriver or similar tool through the tripod screw threads on the base of the plate to lever the release pin back.
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4
New Boot

I have also seen where dirt and part of a small screw that was in somebody's bag got into the head and had to be shaken loose. Best bet is to separate the tripod plate from the tripod and work at the problem from the bottom.
Geoff Tirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you so much for your help gentleman.

I finally had to time to fiddle with it some more today.

I only had to remove the 3mm hex screws on the bottom of the plate, and that let me release it.

It seems to be working fine again! :)
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts