FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 6th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...

I have started to work on the FS7 Comfort kit.

I want it to be small and light but well balanced and comfortable as well as modular.

Here is the beginning. Basically a very solid bottom plate that attaches with 4 screws (2 where the Sony pad was). A much more padded shoulder pad. very simple 15mm rail mounting up front and in the back, or as in these photos my cheese plate with IDX, AB or even other battery plates. This really helps to balance the rig on the shoulder.

I don't like moving the whole camera too far back because then it is awkward to operate all the buttons and a small lens like the 14-70 f4 in these photos.

The extra wing on the back cheese plate is for wireless receivers or other accessories. Everything comes apart quickly with thumb screws like my other kits.

I will probably have a batch of beta versions back from the anodizer (black) on a week from Tuesday. Contact me if you are interested in a beta version at a good discount. The final kit will be priced similar to my FS700 and other kits.

Any comments are welcome.

Here are some quick and dirty photos in my shop at the end of the first day of development.
Attached Thumbnails
FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv11.jpg   FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv12.jpg  

FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv13.jpg   FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv14.jpg  

FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv15.jpg   FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv16.jpg  

FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv17.jpg   FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7devv18.jpg  

Old December 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...

Good work, Olof.
I would be really interested in a rail block very similar to what you did for the FS700 - but VERY short under the camera. Just big enough to attach two 15mm rods and a VCT mount wedge. No pad. Possible? Maybe we could work out a one-off model????

Thanks,
Brian
Old December 12th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T. Young View Post
Good work, Olof.
I would be really interested in a rail block very similar to what you did for the FS700 - but VERY short under the camera. Just big enough to attach two 15mm rods and a VCT mount wedge. No pad. Possible? Maybe we could work out a one-off model????

Thanks,
Brian
I am now on version 4. I am making the back shoulder piece separate from the front with the 15mm rods.

I can sell you one of the front pcs only, if you like. One of the nice things about my shoulder pc is that it attaches to the FS7 with an additional 3 screws. And that adds a lot of strength to the kit.

I am a little concerned with the 4 small screws that holds the ¼" and ⅜" attachment plate to the FS7.

I will post a photo here soon. My front plate can use either a VCT wedge or any QR plate there are 4 ¼" holes for these plates.

The price for just the front part will be $350.00
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Olof - I would be very interested in seeing more pictures!
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Here is a Photo the CNC mill is spitting out parts as I write. I should have the first batch ready anodized next week.

I will post shots of the assembled kit on the FS7 soon.

This kit will sell for $390.00 that includes 15mm rail clamps up front adjustable in and out 2". The Base can be shipped with VCT wedge or just with ¼" holes for any QR plate. There will also be 15mm Rail option for the back and an optional "TailHook" for using full size VCT-14 plates. I only use the front part (TA-100 from Canon), this saves a lot of weight on the sticks. The shoulder pad is 1" thick high density memory foam very comfortable.

One of the big feature in this kit is that the shoulder piece is attached with screws to the bottom of the camera, this adds tremendously to the strength of the kit. There are only 4 small screws holding the plate on the bottom of the FS7 to the camera itself. The EX1 and EX3 had similar design and a lot of shooters ripped the bottom out of their cameras, so I made a similar kit for those cameras.

I will also offer Brick battery either on rails or on the same style cheese plate as my FS700 kit.

You can preorder by emailing me if you want to be sure to get one of the first batch.

These are made in NH by me and anodized in Maine. Hand shaped and rounded for comfort. We sell direct so we can keep prices reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
FS7 Comfort kit from Westside A V in development...-fs7kitproduction.jpg  
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Tourist

Looks nice!
Matt Love is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5